Arrowtown and Coronet Peak

Arrowtown Travel Blog

Drive to Arrowtown

Since it was our last full day in New Zealand together, I couldn't just let the rest of the afternoon go idle.  We jumped back into our car and headed out to Coronet Peak, one of the ski fields here (I love how the Kiwis call ski areas "ski fields").  I had skiied Coronet on a previous trip and wanted to show Mom and Dad what they look like in NZ.  There were some great views, but definitely very different in the winter.  One thing that is unusual to me about the ski fields here is that most of the skiing is above the tree line out in the open.

The area near Coronet Peak is evidently quite popular for sky diving and hang gliding, as we saw lots of tandem sky divers and hang gliders soaring around the peak.  I loved watching them floating back and forth.

Our next stop was Arrowtown, a former gold mining town that had its heydey in the 1860's with the discovery of gold in the Arrow River there.

A toast at Saffron
  At the height of the gold rush in Arrowtown, the population was over 7,000 people!  Today it is a charming little community with lots of trees, river frontage and little arts and crafts shops.  It has lots of buildings that date back to the gold rush days, including the town's original Bank of New Zealand building.  It's only a 20 kilometer drive from Queenstown, so very easy to reach.

After checking out some of the local shops, we went over to Saffron for drinks and dinner.  Saffron has a great pub behind the restaurant where we relaxed a bit before dinner.  Dinner at Saffron was awesome (see review below) -- it never disappoints.  I had eaten here several times before and will always include it when I get this far south!

Arrowtown Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Elegant New Zealand Cuisine
One of my favorite New Zealand restaurants is Saffron, located in a former gold mining town called Arrowtown a few miles outside of Queenstown. Saf… read entire review
photo by: Sunflower300