Onwards, amigos!

La Serena Travel Blog

Tonight I´m setting out again, pushing further up this ribbon of a country towards Peru. When I was planning my trip, Chile was going to be something to get through asap, but I´ve grown to rather like it.

The lack of the colour green was a little unsettling at first, but the crazy colour and vibrancy of life more than makes up for a few green shrubs. I swear neighbours have competitions to see who can paint their house the craziest colour; extra points if it clashes with both neighbours!

This morning I made my family a kiwi fry-up for breakfast and for some reason the french toast didn´t work, which made me sad. But, point of the story is that we went to the supermarket the night before, and my host father got the supermarket announcer to, firstly, say ´Simone, don´t go!´, then got him to tell the whole supermarket how wonderful I was. By the end I was bright red, and pretty close to tears, it was utterly fantastic and so touching!

The day before yesterday we went over to Cochimbo, which is really, really beautiful. It has a busy and rather pungent port, where I learnt a very important life lesson ...

Pelicans are freakin´ HUGE!

In Cochimbo you can also visit a quaint little fortress, which has fantastic views out into the harbour, and a beautiful little garden. Then there´s the main attraction, the Cross of the Third Mellenium. I haven´t been up yet but it looks pretty impressive, and is only 1,500 cp. for unparalled views (by all accounts).

BillOnTheGo says:
I'm jonesin' for some pictures! Please tell me you are taking lots of digital photos.
Posted on: Jun 05, 2008