Belfast

Belfast Travel Blog

Belfast City Hall

Belfast is only a 2 1/2 hour ride on the train. I wasn't to keen on driving up there as I got lost there once and you'd be knackered driving all the way up too. And needless to say, I wouldn't be able to enjoy a drink either :)

Trains are normally quite expensive in Ireland but a return ticket was only €36, which isn't bad at all and we travelled in style. It was lashing rain there and we went straight into a visitor centre to find us a Black Taxi tour. We eventually found one for £25 for the 3 of us and he picked us up at the City Hall. We opted for the political tour because it was my sisters first visit up and I though she'd like to see the Shankill and Falls road with all the Murals and hear a bit about the history. I forgot how hard the Belfast accent is to understand for foreigners, so my sister (we'll give her a name now.

..Nicole) had a bit of a struggle but got used to it quite quickly. The tour was great and our driver, Ken, was very knowledgeable.  I can only recommend to do a black taxi tour. I was on a city tour bus and another tour bus and the black taxi tour was the best of them all.

After so much history we needed some food but finding a nice place to eat was a harder task than anticipated. One greasy spoon after the other and all of them packed. We finally found one that we thought sounded alright but it turned out to be a greasy spoon after all. The food was horrendous but the place was jammed!

A friend of mine, who lives up near Belfast came into town and she drove us around a bit. We went to the Titanic quarter, Queens, Stormont and Belfast castle before she had to go back home.

Belfast Castle Cat Garden - There has been a resident white cat always at Belfast Castle and the garden. To celebrate this tale there have been nine references made to the cat. You can find them all over the garden but we have not been able to find them all. If anyone of you knows them all, please let me know :)

It was almost time for us to return to the trainstation but not after a few beverages :)

tridantri says:
Sounds good. Thanks for the tip about the black cab tour. I'll be going to Belfast later this year so maybe they are an option.
Posted on: Aug 12, 2007
Purdy says:
Really interesting about the cats up at Belfast castle - l never knew that and l live about 15 minutes away from the castle! Really interesting!!
Posted on: Oct 31, 2006
Albert Clock
Albert Clock
Stormont
Stormont
My siister and I and Stormont :)
My siister and I and Stormont :)
Belfast Castle Cat Garden