Hollywood, Wicklow Gap and Glendalough

Glendalough Travel Blog

Wicklow Gap...sooo windy!

It was my sisters 3rd visit to Ireland and we only ever stayed in Dublin. Well, we went to Kilkenny one year but we only really went out on the piss...not much sightseeing to be had.

Anywhere, this year I packed her into my trusted automobile and off we went to Glendalough. The weather was beautiful (doesn't happen that often in this part of the world) so I decided to take the scenic route. Up to N81 (Tallaght bypass) and towards Blessington and then Hollywood. Holly wood...definitely not as glamorous as the counterpart in the States ;) but well worth passing through. I am telling all my friends that I have been there, haha.

From Holly wood you just follow the sign for Wicklow Gap or Glendalough. It's a beautiful drive through the Wicklow mountains and you have an amazing view. It's the second time I have been there and it's always windy.

Glendalough is only another 20-30 minutes drive. The visitor centre has a huge carpark and a loo (very important). There is an exhibition inside and you can watch a film about the history of Glendalough in diferent languages. When we arrived they had it on in french...we gave that a miss. You can explore the area for free or you can pay €2 for a guided tour. It's worth doing the tour as you get to hear a lot about the history and you get to go into Kevin's Kitchen ;)

If you have a little time and the weather permits it, you should go for a walk around the area. The sights are amazing and it's so peaceful around there. I have always been around October and I personally would recommend to go outside high season. You couldn't enjoy it as much with hundreds of people storming through the place.

Wicklow Gap...sooo windy!
This tells you that there is a wal…
This tells you that there is a wa…
photo by: Paulovic