¡Getting sand everywhere!

Huacachina Travel Blog

SO....this is written in past tense... I´ve been a little slack in posting ´blogs´! sorry guys. So after Lima, the next stop was Huacachina! You might have heard of this place..... its a proven stop on the ´trail´ through peru. And rightfully so...Huacachina is set amongst some staggering sand dunes, in a small oasis. I have no idea of the actual height of the dunes, but I´m going to call it at a 100m... give or take. The token tourist activity, is a rude in a ´dune buggy´.... a modified toyota, made to fit 6 9 people or so. It´s a whole heap of fun... as the driver punches up and down the steep dunes, occasionally getting a little áir´. It would have been more fun though, if I were driving.Sandboarding is very popular, and it seems tourists flock here for a taste of some éxtreme´board sports... only to be dissapointed at how innefective sandboarding actually is. It´s far more fun lying down, head first... screaming down the sand dunes. especially when your racing your friends!Between climbing dunes, we spent hours on end playing like little kids in the hostel pool, and drinking pisco sours with some lovely american sisters we met.But there´s only so much you can do in such a small sandy town... so onwards to Arequipa!
photo by: yadilitta