Getting Ripped off in Guate City

Guatemala City Travel Blog

So after an awesome 5 weeks at lake Atitlan we finally made an escape. Not because we wanted to leave, but only because we felt we needed to see a little more of central america.... be it good or bad. I dare say there won't be much that will compare to our stay at the lake.

After stumbling on getting a boat out of Santa CRuz (the driver wouldnt let us on because we took too long with our goodbyes!), we caught a chicken bus to Guate.... which is always fun. The buses are really neat... old US school busses that are ''hotted up'... I believe the engines have all been modified for more power, and they're not scared to use it... especially on a winding road in the mountains, with oncoming traffic.... but it all seems so normal now. I guess you get de-sensitised to the wild traffic maneouveres after a while.

The minute we arrived we were haggled for cabs, being on a tight schedule to make a 1pm bus to El Salvador, we didnt really had a choice... and paid the same price for our 3 hr bus ride for a 20 min cab ride. Welcome to Guate Gringo.

Our run of good luck had finally come to an end, and the bus was full. damn. So we're forced to get ripped off again in Guate...another overpriced cab ride, and booked into a hostel for US$20 each for a dorm bed!!!! what a rip off!!! An hour down the road, at lovely Antigua, a bed only costs $7!!! in something much nicer.

Both of my Guatemala City experiences have not been pleasant, so needless to say, first thing tomorrow we're outta here headed for El SAlvador!! BUT, the bad experience doesn't even make a scratch on the great experience I've had thus far in Guatemala... this country is very special.

stay tuned for tales of surfing adventures!!!