Belize City overnighter

Belize City Travel Blog

After a plush bus ride from Tulum to the mexican border town of chetumal (which wasn´t a bad place... its definately reinforced my positive mexican experience) we found ourselves at a loose end for the next leg of our journey. Solving the problem we niavely purchased a ticket for a ¨first class¨bus to belize city...

I guess we were spoilt over the last 4 weeks, as we rolled our eyes when our run down bus pulled up between the ´plush´ ADO mexican coaches. Little did we know at the time, but this was a fairly good measure of the things to come. Bye Bye AC... the dream is over.

After a smooth border corssing, we found ourselves slowly cooking in the sealed bus with AC that blatantly couldnt keep up with all the seated and standing passengers. Every gear change was hit and miss, and every speedbump amplified (instead of dampened) by the loose suspension.

Eventually we made it to belize city & was greeted by many smiling faces eager to help. The english speaking locals, weatherboard and corrugated iron homes all incurred a strange familiarity... however, this wasn´t anything like home. Belize is a little behind the times, with only a few ATM´s in the country, generally ´run down´, (but i guess you can´t get too carried away given that a cyclone wipes the place out every few year) and I think a lot of people wouldnt particularly enjoy it.

The locals have a strange way of making money from tourists. RAther than being in your face, they befriend you with everything from accomodation advice to sweet poems about life and love. a little different, and a bit of a novelty (at first).

However, it is super chilled out, & I´m definately glad I made it a stop. We found a nice (& safe) little guest house, but moved on early in the morning, skipping the postcard perfect cayes, in search of some wilderness or waves.
Belize City