Grenoble and the missing hotel

Grenoble Travel Blog

After driving for some hours from Paris, we got to Grenoble during the night of Tuesday 13th., the town looks clean and the streets are empty, we start looking for the hotel we reserved, an Ibis hotel, we pull the map, but coludn’t find the place; in a couple of hotels ask if they have rooms available, but no success. We go back and forth driving thru Grenoble, getting on the highway (motorway) being rip off at the tolls -- too many times -- that goes on for some hours; we find another Ibis hotel but no luck getting a room there either... Later on a country road outside of Grenoble, I stopped a van of gendarmes (police), and ask them how to find the darn hotel, all this in my first attempts to communicate only in French, I called the hotel one more time and put the gendarme to talk to the receptionist, to our surpirse, not even the French police could understand where the hotel was!! but they gave us a clue of the where the small town of the hotel was. Very tired and sleepy, we got to the town (I can’t recall the name now); and drove by the street a few times looking for the hotel, it was still night, so no one on the streets. Resuming, we slept in the car at a fuel station near Grenoble. A few hours later, we were on the road again... lost again!! ; )
Grenoble