Cardiff Castle

Cardiff Travel Blog

We pulled into Cardiff on the 26th as dusk was approaching.  As passenger it was my job to find a hotel for us.  Feverishly I dug thorough the guide book and found hotel number 24.  The actual name was NosDa at the Riverbank.  After parallel parking next to the river we knocked on the door hoping the small hotel situated in the neighborhood wasn't full already.  It was still light outside so we were optimistic.

An older woman answered the door wearing her nightgown.  I instantly knew this was bad.  We asked her if she had room for us tonight to which she responded angrily, "At this hour!"  It went downhill from there and needless to say, we were turned away.

The next hotel was the Angel.
  To me it represented a divine building as I was hungry and tired of being in the car for so long.  We were greeted well and in the room quickly.

Dinner was at a local pub with plans to see the castle in the morning.

The castle was interesting and took up about half the day to see the whole thing.  We took the tour finding it to be very informative.  All in all however the castle was disappointing.  Being American I have the been tainted by the Hollywood version of castles.  Knights, maidens, and boiling oil intrigue me.  This castle was the summer residence of a coal baron.  The history of it really amounted to the history of the owner and visitors, and less about events at the castle.

From Cardiff our destination became Caernarfon.  A long drive through Wales.
Cardiff Sights & Attractions review
No Knights here
The Cardiff Castle is well maintained and accessible. The incredibly knowledgeable and humorous guide made the tour interesting and worthwhile. The … read entire review
Cardiff Hotels & Accommodations review
A fancy hotel at a reasonable price
The Angel Hotel was great. There is parking adjacent to the building at a reasonable cost which was nice since Cardiff did not seem to have much park… read entire review
photo by: vulindlela