Major League in the Motor City!

Detroit Travel Blog

Comerica Park

A few months ago I had seen that my Seattle Mariners were playing a day game up in Detroit on May 22 so a buddy and I bought some tickets and made some plans.

The morning of May 22, we flew out on a Northwest Airbus 320 from Indy to Detroit without any problems.   We took the city bus down to the ballpark.  It was an hour and a half ride, but for $1.50, who cares!  We arrived to Comerica Park at around 11am for a 1pm game.   We explored the park for a little bit and were able to view the warm ups and batting practice.  We then got us some ballpark food and beers and sat down to see my team get whipped, as usual.

I really need to stop watching my Mariners live because they are now 1 win and 8 losses at games in which I was there in person.

Comerica Park

It started out good.  Ichiro beat out an infield single and went to third on an error.   Nobody could bring him in though.   Detroit came up and did get a run in the first.  It was all downhill from there.   Brandon Inge hit a three-run home run for Detroit and they were just unstoppable.  The Mariners threatened several times, including having the bases loaded with one out on two occasions.   They did not get anything big out of it though and so the story goes for Seattle this season.

After the game, we headed back to DTW airport by taxi.  It was $45 and 45 minutes but we needed to get back quick for a flight.  It is Indy 500 weekend so the flights were looking real ugly!   We stood by and were told that the flight was overbooked and that we were number 13 and 14 on the standby list.

Comerica Park
   Oh the joys of flying nonrevenue!   Oh well, at least it is free.  We were contemplating flying to Cicinnati instead if we did not get on the Indy flight.   The Cincy flight was wide open and at least we would be only two hours from Indy.  It did not come to that though.

We are on!!!!    Yes, we did get seats and the aircraft actually departed with a few empty seats.    You see why they have to overbook?   It was another smooth Airbus 320 flight and we were back in Indy by 8pm.   Another MLB ballpark down for me.   I have now been to 20.

Final score:

Detroit Tigers 9

Seattle Mariners 2

vulindlela says:
Detroit is all right...
Posted on: Jul 02, 2011
world-traveller123 says:
What did u think of Detroit?
Posted on: Jul 02, 2011
mellemel8 says:
congrats on being "featured" jeremy. what a beautuful ball park.
Posted on: May 29, 2008
My buddy Ryan at Comerica Park
My buddy Ryan at Comerica Park
Here I am!
Here I am!
The Mariners lineup
The Mariners lineup
Comerica Park
The home run fountain which was ri…
The home run fountain which was r…