Three Months Out

Fort Wayne Travel Blog

Our plans for Istanbul are progressing well.  We have begun studying Turkish (Merhaba!) and have red a dozen books on the city, including novels, travel guides and more.  We have looked at movies by Ceylan and listened to music via You Tube.  Oh, yes, we have also become fans of the Turkish national football team and intend to see a match when in the city.  We have studied and studied and studied.  We, by the by, are old friends.  We have known each other for thirty years and decided to take this trip together.  A picture is attached or somewhere close.  So, the trip has already begun with all of the planning.  Buying travel supplies, contemplating electronics and converters, making friends, selecting seats, all of the minutae of travel.  We have met every Wednesday for months, sipping good wine and trading insights.  I am the more seasoned traveler, but my friend, Richard, has led in the research and discussion.  He is a lawyer long involved in helping little people solve their problems.  I am a former media-guy who has turned to rental realestate to make money before retirement.  We are both Indiana University graduates and students of world cultures.  I speak three languages well, he speaks one, but is savoring his work with Turkish.  So, in a couple of weeks I will call my airline, Northwest, at midnight and try to select two seats on four legs of the flight.  So, now we are at a lull.  I have spent much time on this site searching for new friends in Istanbul from whom we can gain insights on their home and to whom we can offer our friendship and reciprocal hospitality.  It has been a great deal of fun until now.  I guess we will continue our front proch wine drinking sessions and gain increasing insights into Istanbul, Turkish history and football.  I almost wonder if Istanbul will spoil the image that we have created.
Fort Wayne