The intrepid and the foolish

Ingonish Travel Blog

View near Keltic Lodge

Reports of my death are highly exagerated. Apart from being ill with K's lurgy for the past few days I'm still alive and I'm still in Cape Breton.

The day after the burm, R joined me on another climbing expedition. We drove up the Cabot Trail, with little clue as to where we could go bouldering. We stopped at the top of smokey mountain and hiked down to the view point. Frustratingly we could see some cool boulders down on a beach a couple of miles away but we could see no visible path to it.

Back in the car we continued north to The Keltic Lodge. This place is a bit like the resort used in the musical 'White Christmas'. R was not impressed with my attempt at Bing Crosby.

R's cranial fungus was getting worse by the day.
He was however quite impressed with the abundance of Chanterelle mushroooms. Picking mushrooms inside the National parks is of course forbidden, so we didn't pick any at all. R's hat was not full to the brim when we left and we didn't make chanterelle mushroom soup later on. no really we didn't. honest.

Out on the spit of land at Keltic Lodge we found some really cool exposed rock and spent a few hours bouldering. On one particularly difficult overhang problem I slipped and put both feet in a puddle of cold sea water. The dye from my climbing shoes leaked onto my bare feet. For the next two days I had bright green feet. Despite my best efforts using a variety of cleaning products I still looked like something out of the Wizard of Oz. Now my pretties, if you ever find yourself in a similar predicament the following products are, from personal experience, not advisable: deodorant, toothpaste, hair gel and tomato ketchup.

Inukshuk at Capstick

We then headed up to Capstick and climbed the boulders there too. It was there that I happened upon a Geocache. Geocaching is another game you can play with a GPS device, but it works better if you have a handheld one instead of the dashboard mount ones like mine. The geochache was in an old ammunition box filled with strange and wonderful items. In this one we found an inflatable dinosaur print rubber ring, a spinning top, a cuddly toy, some strange currency amongst lots of other nicknacks. There was also a log book and a sheet of paper explaining what this geocaching lark is all about. We wrote in the log and then picked our way back across the boulder field to the car. The view over the gulf of St Lawrence was spectacular. Four or five large whales were faffing about in the bay, sending their spray up in the air to annoy the circling gulls.

We drove home and got in at about 9:30pm. R's girlfriend K had been quite anxious and had called the national park. The national park had called the RCMP to alert them. We both got thumped when we came in and K had to make a sheepish phone call back to the RCMP to call off the search.

View near Keltic Lodge
Rs cranial fungus was getting wor…
R's cranial fungus was getting wo…
The Geocache