What's up Doc?

Burnaby Travel Blog

Doc.

I awoke to the sounds of S's friend A heading out to a roller derby scrimmage, we joined her later on in the day and I got to experience a brief insight into this obscure retro sport. K came over to pick us up, bringing with him his white cockatoo Doc. Doc proceeded to make himself at home on my shoulder as long as I kept giving his head a good scratch.

We headed on to Roller derby, where a short oval track printed on a basketball court served as the arena. teams of 5 a side compete to block each other's jammer (scorer) as they all hurtle around the track. A came on the scene and quickly put her opponent's team to shame, well done A!

When A had finished we drove over to the Richmond night market, bringing Doc with us he persisted with making me his perch for the evening which brought heaps of attention from the crowds.

View from lighthouse park
The night market is great for food, jewellery and pictures. Most of the market takes on an oriental atmosphere both in the available merchandise and the customers, so it reminds me a lot of Stanley market in Hong Kong.

Doc is great, His Mohican style head feathers bristle up dramatically if he observes a sudden movement. K throws a crumpled ball of paper up in the air and Doc reacts beautifully amidst Oooos and Ahhhs from the crowd. Doc is a bird of few words, but those words are used to great effect. He makes a gentle inquisitive 'Hello' to which a reply will grant you another 'Hello'. We had conversations of this type for much of the time he was on my shoulder, with this back and forth Helloing making my sides split.

S's friend's band The Belushi's were playing a memorial gig at a pub in Vancouver, so we scooted off to see them and then went back to their digs for a few drinks before getting a taxi home.
View from lighthouse park

Sunday morning had all but disappeared by the time we got up, but we managed to get out of the house and over to North Vancouver where we had a fantastic brunch (brekkie sandwich and strawberry rhubarb pie mmmm) at a cafe near Ambleside. Our destination for the morning: lighthouse park.

Lighthouse park is located further west of Ambleside on its own mini peninsula, S and I trundled through the camel back roads dodging Sunday drivers and cyclists alike. Emerging at the car park we loaded up with water and sun cream and grabbed our swimming things in case we found a good spot. A rather intense hike through the headland brought us out at the cliff tops and we followed the perimeter trail that ducks in and out of the woods to occasionally show off cool rock outcroppings a few metres above the water. Rock climbers were out on some of the higher cliffs, it looked like a cool place for a climb.

Back in the car we rushed over to Ambleside, having not swum at lighthouse park we were hot and sticky from the hike and in urgent need of a swim. The water there was FREEZING cold to enter, but once you're in its strangely not so bad.

After our refreshing dip we realised we were late to meet K for curry, so back in the car and over to a place in North Van that sounded good. As it turned out it was fantastic as our host managed to make us a Peshwari naan bread which is my all-time most favourite naan and never appears on menus in Canada.

Next: starting the journey back East. Scary.

Burnaby