The Squirel and Ribena incident

Deer Lake Travel Blog

Grose Morn KOA

It was early one morning, yesterday as it happens, when I set about making breakfast. we were frequently interrupted by a small brown and cream coloured squirel. Bold as brass this little thing was, it would scurry up to you, steal some food and scurry away (squirels don't know how to travel in any other way apart from scurrying, a splinter group of lateral minded squirels once tried moseying with limited success). I made a hot mug of ribena and set it down on the table. The squirel approached with caution and investigated the table. Finding my plate it scoffed the crumbs of my waffle and licked the remaining jam from the knife. Then it did a parculiar little dance where it lifted opposing limbs very slowly and then replaced them on the plate, then slowly lifted the other opposing set, as if it were a lizard on hot sand.

a rather large Mushroom

Having performed this strange and mesmerising dance it then advanced towards the ribena. Sticking its head almost completely in the top of the mug, it froze. Withdrawing rapidly it shook its head from side to side at high speed and fled off the table, sending small droplets of hot Ribena flying.

I didn't manage to catch it on film, but I got it a few moments later on its return. U-Tube clip to be posted shortly.

A mixture of bad weather and bad timing (everything in Newfoundland seems to shut at the end of August) has lead us to abandon the journey over to St. Johns and instead return to the mainland. R has discovered that her job needs her back in a few days, so we're heading south a few days earlier than expected.

Still, we've had a few days in Grose Morn National Park which is very beautiful. The remaining activities I had hoped to do (sea kayaking, horse riding, viking trail, Labrador etc) will have to wait until next time.

Next stop: back to Cabot shores for a night and then on to New Brunswick.

Cow head lighthouse