Pointe Au Baril

Parry Sound Travel Blog

Andy attempts a parallel park

The next day we made an early start, and chugged up the freeway to a hamlet perched on the edge of Georgian bay, called Pointe au Baril. We had slotted a few extra days onto the weekend, to make a super-long-weekend and rented a cottage to boot.

After a long trawl through the outskirts of Toronto, where the traffic is always busy no matter when you travel, we eventually emerged on the small road that wind its way north to cottage country.

We got to the cottage, unloaded the ton of stuff we had brought, and collapsed on the bed. It was such a warm afternoon I was determined to get out as it might be the only decent weather all weekend. I wrestled R off the bed and into a canoe (unfortunately the two were a good 50 metres apart, I toyed with the Idea of bringing the canoe into the bedroom to make the transition easier, but then decided it wouldn't fit next to the Rowing boat I put there earlier).

I want THIS one its YELLOW!

It was R's first outing in an open canoe, so I took the helm and we paddled off shakily at first but then settled into a good rhythm that brought us into the main channel. Motor boats are great fun, but not so much when you're on the receiving end of their wake. We paddled hurriedly in the channel, avoiding oncoming boats and pointing the bow into the waves to stop us being turfed into the soup.

Back at Base we negotiated for a motor boat and fired up the BBQ.

On day two we headed into the local town (Parry Sound) to get provisions. I had no nautical map or compass for our next adventure so I picked those up, along with marsh mallows which are essential on any woodsy type holiday.

On the day of the motor-boating, I might have fallen asleep in the shower just slightly.

Sparklers back at the cottage
R was not pleased when the hot water ran out before her shower. We waited for it to heat up. An hour passed, still no hot water, I wandered down to the office to get some help. The Mrs Owner informed me that it was a small tank and shouldn't take too long to re-heat. We waited another hour. Still no hot water. I went down to the office again and saw Mr Owner. He informed me that it was a large tank, so he was quite surprised I had used all the hot water! But credit to them, they got us a motor boat, a fantastic cottage and (eventually) some hot water so I'll definitely go back there!

Showerless but still smiling R joined me at the motor boat and we headed off. We made it out to the light house, and saw the Barrel used as a marker by the French that gave Pointe Au Baril its name.

a baby rattlesnake?
A crusty old lighthouse keeper showed us around and pointed us in the direction of our next destination: The Ojibway. This is an old hotel turned community centre. It looks in my mind just like something out of Tove Jansson's Moomins. Have you ever read any of the Moomin books? No? Well go do that first and then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Somehow, without the aid of the nautical map or compass we managed to get to the Ojibway, but it was shut. Luckily the outside of it is pretty cool, so we stopped for lunch amidst a confusion of chipmunks and then headed on to find the Shawanaga river. Fantastic navigation by R got us there, and then home to the cottage for Tea and medals (and a shower).

woodland trail at Killbear park
a lone seagull guards the barrel
a lone seagull guards the barrel
Moomins house - The Ojibway
Moomin's house - The Ojibway
The Island Queen cruise: narrows a…
The Island Queen cruise: narrows …
Lighthouse at Killbear park