Orwell Historic village

Prince Edward Island Travel Blog

the school room, complete with leather strap on the teachers desk

Having spent a long session in the internet café, I chose an Island attraction on the south coast and drove down to see Orwell Historic Village.

The day was getting very hot and humid, so the main museum building was welcome relief with its air conditioning and pretty staff girls in period dress. I wandered around the agricultural museum reading accounts from local farmers of yore. Life was tough, with plenty of hard character building work so I went and bought some lemonade to cool off.

I ventured further into the village, seeing more folk in period dress hiding in the shade of the village hall, grocery store and school. A bit further still and I came across a farm, Blacksmith’s and a shingle mill.

Later in the afternoon I took off up the coast to a really cool beach with sand that squeaks under your feet as you walk. It was kind of like walking on a freshly cleaned linoleum kitchen floor, only with jelly fish. A large sign warned me of nesting sand pipers, so I turned back. My last sight was the lighthouse at the north east point of the Island.

Next stop Louisberg, Nova Scotia

the school room, complete with lea…
the school room, complete with le…
yes I like stoves, ok?
yes I like stoves, ok?
the large barn in sepia
the large barn in sepia
nobody here but us chickens boss.
nobody here but us chickens boss.
Cliff at Red point beach