Oakville Humane Society

Oakville Travel Blog

exactly what is says on the tin.
Ok here is a nice cheery blog entry with fluffy bunnies and kittens to make the sour taste of the last blog entry go away.

*Puff* there it goes.

I saw an advert for a part time animal care assistant at the local humane society (basically a dogs and cats home) and went along to a volunteer day to see what it entailed. A nice lady called R showed me around and I helped her perform the morning chores.

The society can house roughly 200 animals, and they have large clean facilities with separate spacious cages for the cats and small animals, and pens with outdoor access for the dogs.

I was on cat duty that morning, and it was a pretty bad morning as I had been down the pub the previous night. Greeting a room full of whining cats with a hang over is an experience I would not recommend.
A Cat adoption room

The whining is one thing, but the acrid stench of cat doo-doo was almost enough to make me revisit breakfast.

We set about feeding the cats, each cage has a label indicating the dietary requirements for the resident.  R completed a breakfast order and we went off to fill a trolley with different dry and wet meals, some with and without medication.

The cats eagerly tucked in, and so many were desperate for attention. They mew and paw through the bars in a playful manner with the aim of luring you closer, luckily they have toys to keep them occupied.

After cat breakfast came cat cage cleaning time. This involved taking a cat out of its cage and placing it in a temporary cage while you empty out the litter tray, and wipe over the inside of the cage.
Mogli, a fostered dog
In my case the cats seemed aware that I was not well practiced at picking them up, and saw this as a superb opportunity to either escape, scratch me (I’ve now got some lovely wounds) or generally contort themselves into the most un-pick-up-able shape possible. After a few failed attempts I managed to assume a technique involving the cat clinging upside down to my jumper and me walking crabwise to avoid squishing it.

I thought the worst part was over after we had replaced all the litter trays. The hangover was starting to subside and the smell wasn’t so bad (or maybe I had become more accustomed to it?). Then we had the truly joyous task of washing the dirty trays out. Yikes, this rates as a (–10) on the Andy enjoyment scale. A mixture of low pressure hot water that doesn’t shift the material and bad tools, oh and a horrendous smell made that part of the job unbearably ikky. The worst part is when the steam permeates the smell into your hair and clothes. *shudder*

That part finally done, R gave me a tour of the facilities. She showed me a pair of little pot bellied pigs, Rabbits, Mice, Kittens and I got to meet a very cool Spaniel / Pointer cross called Briar, I’m hoping to go back and give him a walk!

Otis, a fostered cat