Moraine lake and Lake Louise

Lake Louise Travel Blog

the rock pile at Moraine lake

It was Canada day and everyone and their sister was out in the Banff area. I drove up to Moraine lake and squeezed into a parking spot a few hundred metres outside the official car park for the lake trails.

Moraine lake is incredibly beautiful, with its turquoise blue waters. Rock flour pouring in from the surrounding scree slopes causes the water to change colour to blue, too much and it turns chalky white. The lake was discovered when Walter Wilcox (a Yale student exploring the area in 1899) climbed to the top of a pile of rocks, and the hidden lake stretched out on the other side of it.

The icon photo for this blog I believed was Moraine lake, so I went to try and re-create the same picture. Now I've compared it again I'm not that sure that it is Moraine lake, you be the judge.

Moraine lake!
I wandered around the lake and got some pictures, then headed on to Lake Louise, which as I discovered is also incredibly beautiful.

At Lake Louise all the people who were at Moraine lake and about 20,000 or so others were milling around near the Lake Louise hotel (an impressive modern hotel on the inside, with superb views of the lake, the building itself – take it or leave it*). There is a cut-off distance of about 100 metres or so from the car park of any major landmark, from which the bulk of tourists do not venture. I struggled my way through the crowds and eventually reached this cut off point. Here I was free to take photos without random foreign limbs in the picture.

A few limb-free pictures later I followed the trail for lake Agnes that snaked its way up one side of the valley and into a hanging valley a few kilometres away from Lake Louise.

aloone
First you meet mirror lake, then a bit further up lake Agnes and its ingenious tea shop. I made it to the shop (its more like a log cabin with condiments) and recognised a couple of girls from Moraine lake. I wrestled with my introversion and went over and said hi. They were from Quebec, working at a resort in Banff. We got talking and soon we were all headed up the mountain to the next point of interest: a beehive. Actually this was a beehive shaped promontory which commands great views of Lake Louise and its surrounding valleys (starting to sound like a guide book, yikes!). We galumphed down the mountain in order to get back to Banff for the evening festivities. I gave the girls a lift back in the car (they'd hitch-hiked their way up to Lake Louise, so were very grateful for a lift).
mirror lake

That evening Banff town was throwing its Canada day celebration's firework display and outdoor rock gig. I headed down town and stood in the park along with hundreds of others, watching the band as the sky gradually faded dark enough to see fireworks. A family close by were having a fantastic game of tag, running bare-foot through the crowds of people. Even the older generation were intently dodging and weaving about, along with the younger sprouts, it was very entertaining to watch. The fireworks were not bad, but were over quite quickly and then the crowd dispersed super fast, leaving me wondering if I'd said something I shouldn't.

Next: Revelstoke on my way to Kamloops

* I left it, aside from the fact I didn't have enough space for a building that size in my car, I find it very inconsiderate when people go around taking large landmark structures, for example what ever happened to the fabled glass arches of darkest Peru? No one talks about them any more do they?

The easy way