Montreal and Quebec – with no spell checking

Quebec City Travel Blog

le chateau avec le gateau

I headed off reluctantly from the cottage and made my way East to Montreal. The weather was terrible and the traffic was worse. My oh so trusty GPS failed me at the final hurdle by not pin pointing where my next Campsite was going to be. All was not lost, I got it to suggest a place. I now wish it hadn`t bothered.

The thing about Quebec is everything is in French, so no one can understand the road signs. This makes people really bad drivers. Added to the fact that everybody is driving on the wrong side of the road and this really leads to trouble. Plus the campsite at Montreal was grubby and smelt of pee.

Van Halen YEAH!!
I didn`t stay long. Luckilly my sis told me that evening that lots of exiting stuff was happening in Quebec the following day so rather than hang around like the measma, I headed off early and got to Quebec by early afternoon. I wandered around and discovered that Quebec city is filled with lots of beautiful people. You have to be drop dead gorgeous just to be normal in this town, so yours trully stuck out like a pugly in a room full of Dolci and Gabbanas.

People aside, the city is also incredibly pretty. The old town has bags of charm with odd architecture interweaved with green spaces. The City turned 400 years old while I was there, and about 40,000 people turned out to wish it well. I managed to get set up at the campsite, and then head back into town before things REALLY kicked off…

I got tickets to the Van Halen gig that was happening around 9pm, so I mosied my way over to the festival site and got a place near the front! OMG WOW (10).

many more, but none like this one.
The warm up act was Ryan Shaw. I had never heard him before but I will now buy his album! He did some great covers of Beatles and Janis Joplin plus some of his own material. Next was Van Halen, I had never heard them live. They were incredible. Togther with cool lighting effects and stage play they were very entertaining. They evidently have a huge following in quebec as everyone around me chatting in French, would join in with the lyrics in English.

Next were the fireworks, I followed the crowd to the green at the top of the hill overlooking the harbour. Again everyone was out in droves, hanging and standing on every available surface. People hung out of windows and perched on roofs. Near me three people clung to a tree and one chap found a spot standing in the middle of a bush. Cheers went around for the loudest and the biggest fireworks and the finale was fantastic.

When it came to get home, I wasn`t going to attempt to drive until the queues cleared a bit, so I slept in the car until 3 am and then drove back to the campsite, loosing my ATM bank card somewhere between. quite how I still don`t know. I blame the nargles.

The following day I tore the car apart looking for it and drove back to the carpark to find it. No joy. So a lovely girl at my bank branch in Quebec city gave me a new one.

Next stop Fredrickton...