The Killers - Live in concert

Toronto Travel Blog

The Killers - live at the ACC
This morning I braved the elephants (meterologicus giganticus) and monkeys (meterologicus brass-monkeyus) and went foolishly for a cycle ride. I’ve been doing this for the last few mornings to get me out of the house. This morning it was minus 13 and the wind chill on the bike made it about minus 20. My usual route takes me west about 20 minutes, and then I turn and come back. This morning was different. By the end of the road any moisture trapped between my skin and my clothing had given up the ghost being airborne and was attempting to bond with me permanently. Round the corner and down the hill my face started to detach itself as if I had forgotten to buckle it in position before I left. I shivered my way to the lakeshore road and a freezing gust of wind pointed me back in the direction of home.
K & K in a brief non-bopping moment
Rather than argue with it I fled for the warmth of the house, or even if I could just make it to the garage before keeling over…

Last night was entirely random and brilliant. My friend K rang up to see if I was up to anything, I replied no, and she said to get my butt down to Union (the central station in Toronto) as she had a spare ticket to the Killers, live in concert at the Air Canada Centre. I had a rushed shower, enveloped myself with Eau de frisky bloke, had a quick dinner (left overs of Delia Smith’s Normandy Pork and apple I highly recommend) and headed off for the station. Unfortunately I had forgotten that I had made plans to chat with my good friend R back in England that night. Sorry R, I’m a forgetful old fool.

The Air Canada centre is huge and shiny modern, it’s the home of local NHL (that’s spells hockey in Canada) legends the Maple Leafs.
Firework finale
When the arena is not in use for a match, they cover over the ice with a thin layer of foam, put a stage at one end and suddenly it becomes a prime location for top gig. A group called m83 were the opening act, who should now rename themselves The Fillers because I found them marginally disappointing. Their execution was good, but their songs lacked direction and ended up a little like on-hold muzak. Maybe I’m too harsh, they were quite good.

The Killers came on stage amidst a flurry of lights, sheepish looking stage-prop palm trees and huge reaction from the crowd. Every body stood up and they belted out superb tracks from their new album (kicked off with Spaceman) and some older stuff too.  Everybody danced, I even attempted too but it was tricky as the seats are so close together, I must have looked like a robot trapped in a box. The girls I was with (friends of friends) K and K (confusingly) bopped along superbly in their matching pink I heart Killers T-Shirts, screaming along with the crowd at every opportunity.

Next to me were too Chinese girls obsessively filming each song on their digital cameras. Looking around, they weren’t the only ones. Picked out like stars among the audience were the unmistakable glow of mini LCD screens, repeating the view in miniature.

The Killers concluded with ‘when you were young’ and streams of bright white sparks erupted from the lighting rig above the stage. The crowd continued to cheer as the lights went up and we followed them out en mass to get the train home.

Toronto