Halifax

Halifax Travel Blog

For Sophie.

Ha I made it! Despite locking my keys in the car, losing my bank card and getting eaten almost to death by mosquitoes I can now proudly say I have reached the starting line of my coast to coast journey.

Now what? Hmm sleep first, no wait chicken wings down the pub and then sleep. No wait…

After a long sleep in this morning, I headed into Halifax to have a poke around and see the Citadel. GPS had its map upside down again, I was not amused.

During long car journeys you may be familiar with boredom. With boredom comes rather pointless time absorbing games such as ‘I spy with my little eye’ and the like. One such game I have often played is called ‘I’m an animal, I’m an animal what kind of animal am I?’ where players take turns asking questions about the chosen animal until it is revealed.

Cannons on the parade ground
Not literally but figuratively. I have had to modify the game to suit my circumstances and lack of an opponent player. I am now proud to bring you ‘I’m an Idiot, I’m an Idiot, what kind of idiot am I?’ for which you need one idiot (me will suffice) and a GPS box set to ‘random’ (mine appears to be set to random straight from the factory, you may have to set yours to random by applying jam or orange squash as desired to the interface). The player takes his (or her) turn (left, right, straight on or backwards) and waits for the next instruction from the GPS. If it returns with ‘recalculating’ or ‘turn around’ then you the player are the idiot, any other result and the GPS is the idiot. My current score runs almost even stevens with my GPS at the moment. Try it out yourself, who knows where you could end up!

Halifax is quite nice, a modern water front and the citadell sandwiches between them the steep interesting shopping streets of the old town centre.

The signal house
Outside that there is a sprawl of suburbia and light industry.

Back in Kingston I had purchased a Provincial parks historical pass, to get me into places all over the country, so now was my opportunity to try it out in the Citadel. In the hazy warmth of the afternoon I staggered to the top of the hill and into the fort. Having seen Fort Henry at Kingston and the citadel at Quebec, it seemed a little samey. I wandered about trying to find what makes this one different from the others. After a little searching and perusing of the exhibits I came across a doorway that lead to a long dark tunnel. I ventured in and emerged in the dry moat that surrounds the inner sanctum. Across the moat there was another doorway with an equally dark tunnel behind it. This one lead right inside the hill and around behind the turrets that defend the moat, it was cool and quite spooky.

Meanwhile at the top of the hill Marcie and Bruno, two visiting pigeons from Latvia stopped on the forward battery for a break. Little did they know what the large metal pointy thing was.

The signal house
The dangers of Halifax Citadel.
The dangers of Halifax Citadel.
Marcie and Bruno.
Marcie and Bruno.
Whale watching, maybe Ill do that…
Whale watching, maybe I'll do tha…
Halifax