Winnipeg Travel Blog

spotted this on my way north

I left Sleeping giant provincial park in no particular hurry, it's a fantastic park and I'll have to try and go there again on my way back. The road linking the park to the highway is long and winding with wildlife making fleeting appearances as you drive past. The deer are very numerous on the peninsula, and on this particular road I got closer to one than I wanted to. The road has expansive ditches on both sides that mark the boundary of the woods, but even the ditches are quite full with tall grass and bushes. I rounded a corner at a fair clip and suddenly three deer rocketed out of the ditch on the far side of the road and made towards me running full pelt, I immediately started breaking, but one of the deer had made it all the way across the road and then cut in front of the car. Now I was still breaking at this point and had the stupid beast not decided to run along in front of the car, things would have been fine.

Caliper lake
Still breaking hard, this all happened in a few split seconds: the rear hooves of the deer caught my front bumper, then the animals rear end was booted forward from its impact with my radiator grill, the deer fell over and rolled it must have been 7 times, by about the second roll I was at a standstill, The deer lay there on the road for a daunting couple of seconds while I cursed myself for even possessing a car, let alone driving one. Then just as suddenly as it had appeared, the deer got up, gave me a look of stern indignation and leapt into the woods.

Now I’m assuming that the deer is fine as it wasn't knocked unconscious, and it stood up ok, so no broken bones, but what a relief! Blood slowly drained back into my face and I rolled on, at snails pace.

my site at caliper lake

I drove on to Caliper lake, after stopping in Thunder bay to publish a blog and to get some cash and gas. Caliper lake is incredibly beautiful, and I managed to get another superb site complete with gently rolling lawn of lush green grass, its own small beach and no less than two picnic tables (I struggle to fill one just on my own, imagine my freedom now: it was a good 2 minute walk just to fetch the salt!) It was a long drive from Thunder bay, so I was quite tired. I headed to bed just as a smattering of rain began. By morning the rain had become so strong it woke me up at around 5 ish, and started to puddle on the roof of the tent (my dome tent isn't great at keeping its top taught enough to stop water from pooling) the puddle slowly grew larger until it was pressing on the tent inner, and this as any seasoned camper will know, is time to move or get wet. I hadn't brought any of my weather gear into the tent with me, so I braved the elements and got changed in the back of the car (which consists of a strange series of yoga like movements constrained within a space the size of a washing machine)

A brief spin cycle later (delicates, 30 degrees, extra yoga, slight wedgie) I managed to get my gear together and reluctantly decamped just as the rain was stopping. I hate it when it does that! At least it could have the decency to continue at a steady pace to make my labouring worthwhile.

I set the gps to take me to the next park (Bird's Hill provincial park in Winnipeg) and headed off.

Next: Downtown Winnipeg