Beyond all hope

Hope Travel Blog

A chainsaw sculpture in Hope, B.C

The next morning I made an excellent start and managed to get on the road before 10am, which is quite a feat for me. I drove down to Hope, and stopped in at the visitor centre/museum as I had a bit of time and not a huge drive to do that day (huh, so I thought). The visitor centre directed me to the major local attractions of chainsaw sculptures and the Hope tunnels. I had a brief wander around the town and saw some sculptures and then headed out to the tunnels.

The hope tunnels are a series of three railway tunnels and two bridges bored through and across a river gorge, now abandoned but form part of a public park. I made lunch and ate it sitting on the back bumper of the car as I often do on a sunny day. Glancing down at my water bottle I noticed that I was drinking water bottled on the very road I took driving to the park.

The Hope tunnels
Spooky coincidence. I took some photos of the tunnels and then headed down to Silver lake to try and have a swim (it was a hot day and I really didn't have far to drive). The lake was freezing cold so after a long and rather muddy walk I returned to the car without having swum and headed finally for Vancouver!

My research prior to starting this leg of the trip indicated that the closest provincial park to Vancouver that has a campground was Mount Seymour. I fought my way courageously through the evening traffic on the edge of downtown Van and made my way up the mountain.

The fuel light came on, but no worries, the campground MUST be close so I can get gas in the morning.
the Gorge
Onwards I drove, higher and higher, further and further into the provincial park, getting more and more convinced that this park had no campground. Bummer. I gave up looking, turned around and coasted back down the hill to the nearest gas station.

There I then managed to use a local free wifi connection to discover that yes Mount Seymour did not in fact have any campground, and that the nearest were two other provincial parks on the eastern side of the city. I awarded myself a quick pizza and drove on, this time to Golden Ears provincial park, mostly because I know my brother will like the name. At the park (having passed signs indicating only 6kms from the highway) I trekked another 11kms into the park to get to the campground office. Remarkably it was open, but unfortunately the girl there wouldn't take debit card, cash only. I offered her the loose change I had on me (usually I have a cash float for just this purpose, but I'd spent it earlier in the day on a small present for my sis) and made my best puppy-dog eyes but she turned me away citing the nearest cash machine.

So back on the road again, got to a cash machine, extracted said cash, but decided to try the other campground instead: Rolley lake. Hopefully this one wouldn't have the 11km drive after the gate!

Half an hour later I was happily setting up camp at the Rolley lake. Phew.

Thanks go to my friend S from whom I have borrowed the title of this entry.

the Gorge
A few logs fight for purchase abov…
A few logs fight for purchase abo…
Hope