Arrival in Richmond

Richmond Travel Blog

A cadillac pears out from the shade

Another early escape got me back on to highway 95 by 9:00am. A couple of hours drive down the road was Richmond and a little further was my Cousin's place. A, her husband R and their exitable dog M greeted me with great enthusiasm.

Their house is fantastic, bags of room and set in a clearing in a wooded hollow. A gave me the tour and then we settled down to breakfast.

We then headed out to the local agricultural fair, which was very cool. Besides the usual fair pastimes (carousel, ferris wheel, candy floss) there were loads of stream driven wood milling machines, a working wool mill, tractor and pig racing and classic cars. I feel I should elaborate on tractor and pig racing because it is quite a spectacle. Firstly these are two distinct sports, one is not raced against the other.

trailers
That would just be silly. The tractor events were 'pull offs' where a single tractor would have to pull and ever increasing load before stalling. Big 'whups' errupt from the crowd when the tractors front wheels go off the ground. Pig racing is very much like horse racing, only with pigs. Four pigs are placed inside a starting stall and run for the pleasure of being the first to receive a treat at the other end of the track when the gate is raised. big 'whups' errupt from the crowd when the pig's front trotters go off the ground. R negotiated for some horse shoes for a sculpture he is making and we headed back to the house. Oh, and I tried sweet potatoe fries and sour gum (which is a bit like mollasses).

I have, through careful persistence,  developed the art of 'power napping'. Some people can't nap and I feel sorry for them so I will now tell you about the joys of a good nap. Its not that you necessarily go to sleep, its just that you relax for a spell. For me the restoritive natures of a good nap know no bounds. Otherwise I get grouchy. After one such good nap we headed out to a birthday party of A's step father, a very articulate elderly gentleman code named D. At D's party I met up with various of my other cousins and other relations and we ate a lot of very nice cake. yum.

wood yard
old Chevy trucks for sale
old Chevy trucks for sale
self assembly log cabin
self assembly log cabin
a Steam powered dowel cutting mac…
Richmond