Anchor Bay

Peterborough Travel Blog

Yay! arrived!

This post is dedicated to my friends C and P, without whom I would not now be writing this blog post. I'd be writing one much much worse.

I put the address of my first destination into my trusty GPS unit and headed off. Finally I was on the road! My first camp site was at Anchor bay, north east of Oakville about 3 hours drive. I checked the map just to make sure I was heading in the right direction and then just sat back and drove.

I pulled up at my destination a couple of hours later. The Lays Chip factory on Rye street frowned back at me while I sat in the car park trying to work out where I went wrong. Dang that GPS. One phone call later and I was back on the road, with directions scrawled on my notepad.

sunset at anchor bay

I pulled up at my destination a couple of hours later. The Large Red Campsite Barn grinning down on me while I sat in the car park. After a detailed chat with mein host about my intended adventure he directed me to a nice spot by the lake where I could pitch my tent. The plan was; pitch tent, go for an explore, make dinner and then head into Peterborough for the evening festivities: a gig and fireworks by the river. Should be good.

I rolled up at the pitch and met my neighbours, a lovely couple (P) & (C). They were very intrigued to hear about where I was headed, and I promised them a good show as I attempted to assemble my tent. I struggled with my inflatable mattress, C observed from a distance and waited until I was about to keel over before kindly offering his R.

the new Coleman
V air compressor. I had never really seen an R.V up close, but you didn’t need to be close to see this one, it was huge. So big it has air brakes. C connected a hose up to a tap under one of the many flaps that line the outside of the motor. A few minutes later we had a nicely inflated mattress. Cheers C!

Now time for an explore. The campsite is located on the eastern shore of Pigeon lake in Kawarthas. My pitch overlooks the lake, with a reed bed and a few trees for company. I went for a wander out on to island that is connected to the shore by a very rickety old wooden bridge. The beams creaked and groaned as precariously climbed over it, I wondered if the way back might be a bit wet.

Next: Dinner. I set about unloading food and grabbing the camp stove. Found the gas.

the dissarray of breakfast time
Hmmm, it no worky. I hadn’t bothered to check that the Coleman gas cylinder fitted the Coleman gas stove I had brought over from the UK. Opps.

Ok no probs, lets ask C & P if there is a Crappy Tire in the area. Then this is where it all went wrong…

I am reminded of a conversation I had with a used car salesman not two weeks previously:

Andy: “Hi, erm I may have accidentally locked myself out of one of your cars”
Sales: “you did WHAT?”
Andy “I’m really sorry, I was trying the door from the inside and something wasn’t right, so I tried it from the outside and it worked fine, only…”
Sales “I handed you the only set of keys I have!” (muffled cursings)

After a quick go with the slim jim, Sales had it open and all was well. Needless to say I didn’t buy that car. Anyway, back to reality.

I collapsed backwards and rolled on the ground in comic style beating the air with my clenched keyless fists. Looking in through the back window I could see them staring back at me, almost tauntingly in their cozy fitted carpet and air conditioned manor.

But all was not lost, my good sis K had signed me up to one of those road side assistance thingamies. Great, now where was the number? And the membership details?. I wandered back over to the R.V. C & P had seen everything and offered me a beer while I got things sorted. P gave me a number for the CAA, and after a lengthy hold queue (all our operators are currently assisting other complete idiots, your sorry excuse for a road side call out will be answered shortly…crappy hold music..). My heroes C & P gave me dinner while we waited for the CAA guy to turn up.

Enter Tow Truck Man, ever alert for the call to action! He was local so knew the campsite really well and in fact had a few friends on site to visit. He was more than happy to oblige with the locked up focus, and in 2 mins he was in! It was really cool he had this inflatable pad with a mini bulb pump. He pried at the top of the door (Andy winces empathetically with the pain) and inserted the pad. After a bit of inflation he could then stick a wire through the gap and around the door handle…click, we’re in!

Peterborough