Safari in Serengeti

Serengeti Travel Blog

Jambo! What a magnificient day we had! Today we were leaving Ngorongoro and going to Serengeti. By the way, its real name is Siringet, a Masai word which means “land with no end” or something like that… It is a huge piece of land with more than 150.000 square kms. Until a month ago was plenty of animals but now they are on the way to Masai Mara (south of Kenia). Today they told us that the best month to visit Tanzania is during January, Februrary and March, when everything is green and you have millions of animals everywhere.

On the way there we stoppet at a cultural center which was alright. From there we kept driving to Serengeti. It is 2 hours distance from Nnongoro, and from the entrance of the park to the hotel there is 40 minutes more. But instead of going straight to the hotel we decided to do a Safari and had a picnic for lunch (under a typical African tree).

Woaw Serengeti is just so inmese.

We started driving and there was no end. Although it is not the best season to visit it we found so many animals. Just when we entered the park we stoped in a rest area and we had a local bear… From there we started the safari and I must stay I even got tired of seeing so many lions! ;) It was funny how we made one of them stand up. One of the group was tired of waiting for the lion to get up so he just got an apple and threw it to him! The lion stood up in less than a second and of course I took a large number of photos J

At 2pm we decided to have our picnic, so we parked under a tree. You are not allowed to go out of the cars in the park, so we had to eat inside. After lunch we kept going with our safari… one of the most excititing thing was to find vultures and a hyenas eating an dead animal….

In order to get to the hotel (which was inside de park) we had to do a shorcut across the field. When we arrived to the hotel there was a man waiting for us with cold towels and a fresh fruit juice. That is the life!

While my friends took a shower I went to the swimming pool and ordered a beer. Next to the pool there was a nice viewpoint overseeing the park. What a nice spot! Amazing! I took some pictures of the sunset and then I came back to the room to get a bathing suite!  For dinner you had to call reception so they send you a guard who will take you to dinner. It seems to be that at night buffalos are around and can get very close to the hotel.

During dinner we had a nice bottle of South African wine. Pretty good indeed!

jwilsonwsu says:
Your safari sounds awesome! I can't wait to go this summer! Great pictures too.
Posted on: Apr 02, 2008
telamonster says:
I am going to Masai Mara in January! You blog has been most helpful. I even copy and pasted your tips into a saved word document. Thanks!
Posted on: Sep 09, 2007

Serengeti Hotels & Accommodations review
Awesome hotel! it is 100% nature! in fact they make you call reception if you want to move out from your room as there is a risk of finding wild anima… read entire review
Serengeti