Safari in Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro Travel Blog

Habari! Napapenda hapa! (Hello, I love it here!) As you can see I am already half  Masai! I bought a Swahili phrasebook by lonely planet and I’ve started to learn how to say the basic stuff. Fun stuff!

Today I woke up at the right time and I took pictures when the sun came out. So I had to get up around 6am. At 7:15 I was done with my pictures so I run to have some breakfast. At  7:30 we were ready to go and take a photographic safari inside Ngorongoro crater. We were very excited as It was supposed to be the best park in Tanzania. From the hotel to the bottom of the crater there is 600 metres so it took us 40 minutes to go down.

For the first time we saw lions (male and female).

We came across 8 female lions and 3 male lions. They were just beautiful but extremely lazy. In half an hour only one got up and walked for 15 metres. Then we carried on watching thousands of different animals. I couldn´t believe it, in less than 270 square kms we saw a great number of species, it really felt like you were in the Noah’s Ark! Something really impressive! The funniest thing is that animals ignored us completely, they didn´t bother having us next to them at all, so you could get really close to them.

So far we have seen 4 of  “the big five” (giraffe, elephant, hippopotamus and rhinoceros) but we still have one missing…. The leopard! Our guide told us that  in Serengeti we will probably see them, although it is difficult, they hide and they are not easy to find.

All along the park you find tons of Masai people as they are the only ones allowed to live in the crater.

That is the only way to preserve the animals from being killed by furtives. Masai dont kill wild animals, they are shepherds and they just eat domestic animals.

The safari ended up at 1pm, so we went all the way up the creater to arrive to the hotel to have lunch. Food in Africa is just very good, I would have never said that! I’d better start taking care of my diet or i will become another kind of big predator in Africa. Alter lunch we went to the room and rested for a while except me, I spent some time downloading and organizing the 260 photos that I took today! At 5pm we decided to take some more photos around the hotel. The location was just spectacular with one of the best views over the crater! Check the pictures I am wearing my new TB t-shirt! ;)

One we finished our photo shoot around the hotel we went to the cafeteria to have a glass of red wine while Lucas read one of his books and I studied my Swahili phrase book. While we were there, there was a Masai show we recorded on tape!

That is all for today, tomorrow we leave at 7:30 to Serengeti, where we will stay 2 days.

See you tomorrow!

hdao74 says:
Actually, Africa's big five are the lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhinoceros. =)
Posted on: Sep 28, 2007
hdao74 says:
I didn't think the food was that great in the lodges that we stayed at. =(
Posted on: Sep 28, 2007
mzunguang says:
you must be a super genius mzungu having mastered swahili so quickly and becoming half masai:)
Posted on: Aug 20, 2007