Arriving to Zanzibar

Zanzibar Travel Blog

We got up at 5:30 am as our guide was picking us up at 6:30am to take us to the Airport. The flight was at 9:50 but you have to leave early just in case you find traffic.  Traffic is quite bad to enter and leave the city.

Nothing went wrong, so it took us 45 minutes to get to the aiport. Surprisingly enough it was very well organized, no lines and we were informed at all times. Once you pass the security control, you have plenty of stores and cafeterias if you want to have a snack.

Right now I am writing sat on the plane, with a nice kilimanjaro (beer) and some cashewnuts. If you are flying from Nairobi to Zanzíbar and you seat on the right wing you see the Kilimanjaro! I am on the other side so hopefully on the way back I will have the chance to see it.

In less than 45 minutes I will be landing in Zanzibar… just keep reading and I will tell you how fascinating it is (I hope).

…. (22:23pm)

I guess this is not the place to come with friends. Since I arrived here I have only seen honey-mooners or families with children. The place is just amazing, nothing alike. From the airport to our hotel there is a 45 minutes drive. To get there you go through many small villages which are so interesting. I would take thousands of pictures of every single corner in the island.

As always we had a very warm welcome to the hotel.

They did with a nice cold towel and a fresh orange juice. The room was not clean yet so we had to wait for an hour. Instead of waiting we went to the cafeteria next to the pool and we ordered some food and red wine. I ordered a salad but I could barely eat it as it was so spicy. I forgot that Zanzibar is well known by its species, and some of them are really hot. It was funny how a couple from Ireland came to me and ask me if I had visited the Grand Canyon. I was wearing a t-shirt which said that I had visited it! (I love when people do that!)

When we finished lunch we went to see our rooms. Damn! This is the most incredible room I have been to. There is no doubt that this trip was for couples! We even found flowers on our beds! J Don´t worry, I took many photos so you can see how they looked like.  Alfer taking I dont know how many pictures, we went to the beach for a while. I sat on a hammock while I was watching the Masai people walk along the beach. Quite impressive indeed!

homeres says:
Ive always been fascinated with one day visting the coastal cities in Africa
Posted on: Sep 29, 2008