Yosemite National Park - Day 1

Yosemite National Park Travel Blog

As of last night I has been lucky enough to book a cheap tour to Yosemite National park. This morning I woke at 5.45 to be ready for pickup at the Hilton Hotel at 6.45. I didn’t really know what to expect at this national park, but I had a feeling it would be awe-inspiring and sublime.
I met up with the tour company, namely Mitch & Erika. I was also introduced to others in the group of 9. Sandra and Louise were Swedish friends traveling America together. They were very nice, and had a quirky sense of humor. Yves was french, and also traveling, he booked the tour after finding a cheap flight from france, taking time off his Hotel Marketing job. Annette was German, and traveling solo, she was quiet but thats only because she wasn’t confident with her english.
Giant Sequoias
Kerry was a New Zealander, and of course awesome on that account. We also had some Chinese Parents traveling with their 21 year old daughter who now lives in San Francisco. Later I was surprised to find out that she just got married about 2 months ago.

The brief introduction was dwarfed by the following 6 hour drive towards the entrance to the Yosemite Parks. After a couple of stops for food and drinks in the blistering 45 degree heat of California’s ‘sunny state’. We started our 3 hour hike on the foothills of the Giant Sequoia Trees in the Maripose Grove. Th trees were somewhat spiritual in their size, standing modestly and dwarfing other confidently sized trees into shrubs. The hike was a very nice rainforest feeling hike, which took us from the car-park to an elevation of a further 300m.
We learned that some of the Sequoia trees were standing at the time cleopatra ruled the world. Now you understand the spiritual feeling of a tree which is nearly 2000 years old.

After returning from our hike and picnic, we took a further 1.5 hour drive to the Yosemite Valley. The outlook point which seemed to reveal itself around a inconspicuous bend, was an incredible view and experience. It was like a painting, an open space which didn’t hide its grandeur, and showed a glimpse into the geological history of the area.

We got the the campsite, and the tents were already assembled! We had some time to observe the facilities... A outdoor kitchen sink, public showers, and neighboring hotels swimming pool. At about 8.30 we had a prepared bbq dinner, which was a meaty tomatoey pasta. That night ended early with some drinks by the campsite and tomorrows wake up time of 6am on my mind.

Check out todays Photos!