San Francisco Day 4

San Francisco Travel Blog

Alamo Square
The great thing about traveling is that notion of the unexpected. I woke up today not knowing what I should do, where I should walk, or what I need to see. As I didn't have any plans, I decided to let the day plan itself.

I hoped onto a bus which was heading down Market Street, and I got off about 10 minutes later. People in SF who ride bicycles are allowed to place them on the front of the buses exterior. I found myself in an unfamiliar district. I enjoyed a real cappuccino, unusually with no chocolate on top. A mini pizza, and can of coke. The weather today was quite nice, breezy, and refreshing.

I made my way back to the city, when I cam across an area on the map which was recommended by others I had met at the hostel. I found Alamo Square, which is the iconic picture-ess victorian homes along the park.
Following this I found a poster mentioning Frida Kahlo’s artwork. I was located about a further 40 minute walk at Market and 7th.

After this uphill, downhill and cross county trek, I was welcomed by a very annoying sign. “Exhibition open all week, except Wednesdays”. I returned to my hostel on Ellis, and planned my next day. As usual I left it to the last minute, and booked a Tour which was advertised in the Hostel for the following morning.

The trouble I had with this booking, was what to do after it. It was to return to SF after 3 days of Camping, and I didn’t want to be back in SF. I wanted to travel up by train to Redwood national park. This was a big ask. I found that the Yarts bus could take me from Yosemite to Medina, a Amtrak could follow that to the Redwood national park. But arriving at 9.30, the shuttle to the hostel a further 90 minutes away was not in service. I decided to scrap that idea after long deliberation. I booked a bus to take me to Las Vegas so that I could see the Grand Canyon. This would have the tour bus come back to SF at 9.30pm, and the Greyhound bus leave at 11.00pm. Not much time for errors.

This did have its advantages to it thought, I managed to combine accommodation (overnight bus) and transport into one neat little package.