San Francisco Day 3 - Alcatraz

San Francisco Travel Blog

Today I moved location from accommodation with Family in Walnut Creek to accommodation with travelers in a Backpackers on Ellis St. After shlepping my bags (which 1 strap already snapped) I was holding my breathe for the condition and area of the Hostel. I was pleasantly surprised by its cleanliness, friendliness, and professionalism. I entered at about Midday, where my room will be ready after 3pm. The staff offered to store my bag for the day, while I treated myself to a free chocolate croissant, and started my day in the city.

I made my way back to the Civic Centre Bart Station, located about 10 minutes walk away. On the way I took in some sights of the City Library, and official council buildings in a lovely square. The architecture was very conservative and respected its surroundings.
I was happy to see that these buildings didn’t attempt to rewrite architectural history, by not mixing architectural styles.

I made my way to Embarcadero station, which was located on the Piers of San Francisco. I arrived at Pier 3, and had to be at Pier 27 in 10 Minutes. This was Impossible, It was at least 2Km. I arrived within about 18 Minutes of speed walking, and made my way through the line for the Alcatraz Tour.

The wind was very powerful on the bay, blowing us away, like some force was telling us that Alcatraz was not a place to visit lightly. I found the whole tour quite spooky, standing in the cells, and knowing where escapes were attempted. It was no surprise that Prisoners tried to escape, they had the view of the SF bay in sight, smelling the food, and even hearing the laughter of freedom. Murderers, kidnappers, bank robbers, and tax evaders, were among the convicts housed there. One of whom was Al Capone “Scarface”, charged for Tax Evasion, but who also convicted countless gang related murders. And of course it had a gift shop, selling posters and video’s of Hollywood movies, such as ‘The Rock’, which were filmed on-site.

After returning for the day, I made some new friends at the Hostel, and relaxed watching the Horror Film “Hostel” with other travelers on the 50” screen.... I know bad choice of movie!

Check out todays Photo’s