San Francisco Day 1

San Francisco Travel Blog

china town SF
Having a family member collecting you from a foreign airport is a luxury, even if you have never met this blood relative before. Today I landed in San Francisco to relive Sunday the 15th of June. I was going on half an hours sleep, airplane food and a vacuum cleaner sound perforating my ear drums.

We drove directly to the China Town district of SF, which was quite ironic. I traveled half way around the world to the United States of America for my first destination... China Town. It was really great to get some fresh air, and see some glimpse of the city. I saw some street fairs along the way, took a photograph with a San Franciscan policeman, and relaxed in a park listening to live music.

For lunch we had chinese obviously, which I have to say was surprisingly good.
After some more walking through the crowded streets, full of different smells and faces, we decided to get some cake. I had the problem of finding the restroom, luckily the pub on the corner confused me for a customers and directed me to the mens. I noticed that American’s don’t refer to a line as a queue. This slip of the tongue, announced to a nice girl that I wasn’t a local, which sparked a conversation on recommendations for traveling SF.

We returned to the car, and dealt with an out-of-order ticket machine to delay our exit. Driving out of the city we passed the Bay Bridge, which is in two sections and had once collapsed in the 1989 Earth quakes. The temperature changed dramatically from the city to the outer suburbs, such as Walnut Creek. Inland the temperature increase by at least 30% on the day. From 16*C, to 25*C in a matter of a 30 minute drive.

My plan tomorrow will be to get the Bart into the city, see Alcatraz, walk the Golden Gate Bridge, and ride the Cable Cars. Lets see if that actually happens!