The Traveller's Curse

Prague Travel Blog

I am such a lazy blogger. I really should, seeing that

1. I have so much free time. I only work 15 hours a week.
2. I can feel my English deteriorating.
3. I'm getting old so I should start writing things down lest I forget :)

Prague is interesting. Turning up here by myself, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster. I made instant friends within the first few days through the TEFL course that I was doing. We saw each other everyday for a month so it was nice to have that support network. But after the course was over, it was evident who wanted to continue being friends and who were content at being "incidental friends".

Alas, such is the traveller's curse. You meet all sorts of people and it takes a while to sift through the genuine from the superficial.

For instance, there are the ones I call the Travelling Circus. These are travellers who move in packs. They tend to be best friends from home, go travelling and pretty much do everything else together. They are usually very friendly and fun, but uninterested in having anything more than a superficial relationship. After all they have already come with their own "mobile support network". And because they usually have an "expiry date" on their stay they don't feel the point in investing time in creating new relationships.

So if the first 4 weeks were the honeymoon, the next 2 weeks became the annulment. Culture shock, weather,  cognitive dissonance, loneliness, poor diet, adaptation issues, job issues all kicked in. My world crashed around me. All very melodramatic I know, but when you are somewhere all by yourself the smallest problem gets magnified a thousand-fold.

And despite all my travels, this is the first time I'd lived in a country where I cannot understand any of the native language. In my opinion, it seems like how a disabled person would "see" the world. Suddenly, the simplest things is an effort. Just trying to communicate, to buy something, to get directions, simple courtesies. I cannot understand billboard advertising, TV, conversations. It was almost like I am a ghost and did not exist. Surreal.

I longed to connect to society again. To people. Even just to understand stupid adverts!

I did some soul searching. Was I normal or just a needy, emotional individual? You start to doubt yourself at times like this. I realised what I needed was some "soul-food". So after making a couple of calls to good friends, my self-worth was restored.

There is something to be said about old friends. Friends you have spent years depositing "good energy" into the emotional bank. Because when you need support, they understand you. They don't judge you. They love you. These friends are your chosen family.

I like to think that one of my strengths is resilience. But perhaps its more the good friends that I have chosen over the years.

So anyway, decided to take matters into my own hands and do what I do best. Meet people. Hang out. Do stuff. I've contacted people on and and it's been really good so far. Lots of interesting people.

Also, time to sort other matters. You know, organise work and extra-curricular activities. Build a new life with my bare hands :)
photo by: vulindlela