The Taiwanese outnumber the Pinays!!

Culver City Travel Blog

Phoebe, Sybil and Doris
Doris and Sybil were going to the Culver City street music festival today and invited Sheila and I to join them. I can't believe how much Culver City has changed since I went to UCLA. It used to be pretty shitty and run down, but now it's hip, full of nice cafes, a movie theatre and generallly has a nice atmosphere!

The Iguanas were slated as the band tonight. We got there during what was probably their second set and they began playing an eclectic mix of Latin American music and .. country?! No idea. But I had such a great time with the girls tonight! Everytime I hang out with my TB peeps I can't quite convince myself that I have work the next day!!

I accidentily parked in a no-parking zone (strange since there were cars in front AND behind me, but whatever! Walked over to Culver City, City Hall and it was packed with people who had brought their own camping chairs and tables selling all sorts of merch or providing information on the latest propositions or local agendas.
Birthday Girl!! =)
It was pretty cool with the palm trees, good music, lots of people grooving in their own manner and City Hall lit up in a spectacular fashion! And it wasn't quite as hot in Culver City as it was downtown so the temperature was perfect. LA never ceases to amaze me..

I txt Doris and Sybil and they're down the street - eating happy hour food of course at a Korean place! Soooo jealous... They are about to leave anyway and within a couple of minutes, they walk up and are with their friend Phoebe who works with Sybil - she is SO cool! I hope she joins Travbuddy - AHEM! We chat furiously since I haven't seen Sybil since before she left for Spain and I was in Hawaii so we gossip, share our stories and get shushed by a mean old lady who thought we were too loud. OH WELL - YOU ARE FREE TO MOVE AWAY FROM US.
Cool shot of Doris
But we were nice and quieted down.

After a couple of songs, Sybil whips out her iphone and started showing us pictures of the food they just ate, and the yummy looking desserts really get to our heads. Phoebe and I were like "let's get dessert!" Sybil turns to Doris and goes "you want dessert?" who replies goes "ok!" and gets up and starts walking through the crowd!! Hahaha! It was hilarious, and we ran to follow her out of the grassy area happily as the band wasn't so amazing and we had heard a few good songs.

After walking by a few crowded bars, we ended up going to Ugo, which was across the street from Culver Hotel. The wait didn't seem too long and the dessert display was pretty great. Sheila txted just as we got a table, so we pulled a chair up for her and found out - TOMORROW IS HER BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Happy Birthday Sheila!! =) I think we're going to have a spa day when she gets back from Vegas.
entranced with the bakery display..
Usually those sorts of things bore me to death, but with these girls I bet it'll be a TRIP.

We ordered a variety of drinks and ordered a chocolate cake, a strawberry shortcake, a hazelnut gelato and some tiramisu type ice cream with lady fingers. All very nice and tasty. What struck me most about this cafe was that all the people who work there speak Italian. (They were warm in personality and fun to look at =) Not a bad combination!)

I found out that Phoebe was Taiwanese which for once made us a MAJORITY! When are Taiwanese ever a majority?! I'll tell you when.. NEVER. It was so cool, we talked about a variety of food dishes, our upcoming travels and everyone was so supportive about my impending trip to CAR (fingers crossed!) Phoebe and I then commiserated over our alcohol allergies and our compensatory smoking habit! I'm afraid I've met my soulmate.
Woohoo!! =)
. it doesn't hurt that she's from the East Coast too!! =) I really hope to see her again and hopefully also travel with her. She's really chill and relaxing to be around so I have no doubt she'd make an excellent travel companion.

Can't wait to see these lovely ladies again. Trying to convince Sheila to join me in Palm Desert and pet Siberian Tigers - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO SHEILA! I came home beaming having had SO MUCH FUN tonight =) Thank you for the lovely evening~!
sybil says:
wow, that blog was up fast! ;) good times. till next time.
Posted on: Aug 10, 2008
martinikitty13 says:
It was fun (damn, you are fast with the blogging!). :) See you soon!
Posted on: Aug 08, 2008
Sheila_0808 says:
always fun hanging out with you girly!

Thanks for my Gelato Tiramisu dessert;P
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
Culver City, City Hall
Culver City, City Hall
The Band!
The Band!
Dessert @ Ugo
Dessert @ Ugo
Sybil, Doris and Sheilas fork!
Sybil, Doris and Sheila's fork!
Doris had the cutest dress on..
Doris had the cutest dress on..
Culver City, City Hall!