One of the best weeks ever!

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Nhi decides to order Vegan wine..
In an effort to further procrastinate on doing any laundry whatsoever (and therefore finding many interesting pieces of clothing with price tags still on 'em in my closet), I agreed to every invitation I was offered this week. Because the only thing I love more than hanging out with tons and tons of Travbuddies is hanging out with Travbuddies 1-on-1 and just really getting to know them better.

On Tuesday, Alice brought Sebastian out for his last free day and we celebrated with extremely yummy and extremely cheap Thai food. Joy, Tracy, Alice, Sebastian and I had a lovely dinner at the Thai Elvis place. Sebastian would not let me kiss him on the cheek which was very disheartening and then proceeded to attack me with a fork and chopsticks. Germans are very strange. But I got to see my lovely travbuddies! And the valet let me skip on the charge in exchange for a hug.
Nhi's skill with her skewers..
Hahahaa!

On Wednesday, Nhi picked me up after work to grab some food. We ended up at some non-descript Chinese place where she ordered Peking duck, Pig's blood, and I opted for a wonton soup. We finished off with some handpicked oranges from Goleta my coworker had brought in from his father's

On Thursday, Carole invited me to a lecture on the history of photography through the eyes of Beaumont at the Getty, which I haven't been to since it first opened almost 10 years ago. Once again it was one fo those things where I wasn't terribly impressed when I saw it the first time because hell - I grew up with the MET, the Natural History Museum, and the Guggenheim a quick subway ride away from high school (which was practically a museum with all the inset time capsules scattered throughout the 10 floors).
The handing off of Curious George..
The Getty was a poor excuse for a museum when I first got here. Perhaps it was Carole's lovely tranquil energy, or the mist settling in over the horizon. But for the first time.. I thought the Getty was breath-taking. It didn't hurt that the attendant gave me free parking either! Score 2 for not paying for parking! We finished off our night with some rock-n-roll Thai food in Santa Monica, one of my favorite thai food places that I regularly get a hankering for! Carole and I were so hungry we actually finished practically ALL our food! I went home so happy, comforted and liberated hanging out with her!

On Friday, Tracy wanted to see a movie. Contrary to my theory that Travbuddies can't sit still for more than a few minutes, we successfully watched the Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian. =) What a freaking fantastic movie, the locations were gorgeous, and the movie was exciting and very imaginative! It didn't hurt that the El Capitan happens to be one of those special movie theatres with some pre-movie live acting, an organist, and an entire wing with props and sets from the movie that you can browse right after watching it. We also discovered that it's attached to a beautiful 50's style ice cream parlor, reminiscent of the one in Disneyland, but much less crowded. What a great place for kids and adults alike to feel truly special (with a cherry on top). Although it approached midnight I just didn't want to go home. I wanted to have root beer floats and swordfight with the kids running around and generally relish the happiness that is a nice and wholesome surprise in the middle of Hollywood.

Saturday I buckled and finally did 4 loads of laundry, but then rewarded myself with an evening with Nhi. I picked Nhi up and since life with her as my friend is always a delight and a surprise, I was presented with a jar of homemade fig jam, which we tasted with our fingers in the car. Our evening consisted of vegan food and a bonfire in Huntington Beach, which I enjoyed but am quickly realizing is far less romantic than it sounds! George, I still insist we have one in Huatulco, but if for any reason we can't, it's totally fine with me! Being on a beach in the middle of the night (even in June) is a cold and soggy affair, perhaps only remedied by quick-witted conversation, the divinity that is marshmallows and some incidental burning of inappropriate materials (like an old fashioned popcorn dish). I also got to witness Nhi's ceremonial passing of Curious George to the next person in their group who travels, which is a sweet and interesting idea.

I apologize for not having pictures of most of my rendezvous this week as I don't bring my camera to work, but I did have it today so I have lots and lots of pictures of Nhi =) I can only imagine what my Sunday will bring. I love having this wonderful new family and FancyNancy thank you for always remembering me and txting me throughout the week! You are very much a part of why this week was so great and I can't wait to see you again!
pvtjoy says:
LOVE IT!!!!!
You are the Queen of Blogging!!!!
Girl don't you ever sleep?
Posted on: Jun 16, 2008
keeweeset says:
I'm glad you enjoyed going to the Getty, I was a little worried that you might not like it..haha...It was so much fun hanging out, chatting away and doing some eating...=)
Posted on: Jun 16, 2008
TRE69 says:
Lovely blog Jenn...why don't I email the pics from Friday night you since I am slower than a slug or a tortoise or a sloth to get blogs and pics up!
Posted on: Jun 15, 2008
Nhi decides to order Vegan wine..
Nhis skill with her skewers..
Nhi's skill with her skewers..