Oh what a night!

Pasadena Travel Blog

Going to Vertical!
Doris and Sybil and their coworkers were having dinner tonight at Vertical wine bar in Pasadena! I was so excited to see Doris and Sybil again as well as some of their coworkers I had previously met at a Happy Hour downtown!

I was late as usual so I met them at the restaurant. The group of 6 girls came walking up the street in their beautiful designer dresses! I thought "dayamn! I need some new dresses!" everyone looked so beautiful and I was so exhausted from the week but just happy to come out and eat and drink some tea =)

We climbed the 2 flights of stairs to the restaurant (probably why they call the place Vertical) and we sat down at a great table, apparently an infamous one! So much great food was ordered and wine flights galore were present! Cool combinations of North Italy wines, North Spain wines, French wines, etc.
Can there be more glasses of wine?!
I highly, highly recommend this place to any enophile.

Soon Rob and Joy came in and said hello! They had a nice, private dinner and joined us a little later when our table cleared off a bit so that we were able to squish them in. Rob was wearing that awesome jacket from Dover that I totally want to steal and then tailor to my size. Joy was in the hottest little halter dress with fishnet and thigh high boots. What a couple!

Shortly afterwards, someone else who knew the group stopped by and said hello to the girls. The waiters were pretty amused that everyone seemed to know somone at our table and we requested commission but were denied. It definitely felt like I was sitting at the Godfather table where everyone had to stop by and pay their respects - haha!! =)

God I must have the strangest first impression of lawyers because I adore these girls! They are smart, beautiful, funny, witty and love great food and drink.
Sybil, Doris and their friends!
And I feel like they're always subsidizing my portion when I go out with them. It's hilarious these girls can argue like no other but when it comes to math they're always just picking out random low numbers for me to pay. Last time it was like 10 bucks on a $150 bill and this time it was 30 on a $600 bill. Jesus!!! I feel spoiled and bad!

Doris, Sybil and a few others head out dancing while a couple went home and I headed out due to an early morning meeting with the non-profit folks in the valley. I'm driving along the 110 in the left lane the entire time. I really hate the 110, it's unlit for the most part, super windy and you're supposed to drive 55 on it but everyone always goes close to 70.

About 2 miles away from my exit I notice a very loud noise to my right.
Sybil and Doris!
A car is literally careening in the right lane at high speeds, zigzagging unskillfully around the cars in the right 2 lanes. What happens next is a little fuzzy but from what I saw at my angle the crazy practically hits a car while swerving around another car, gets up on its two right wheels at a bizarre 60 degree angle and then crashes into a pillon and EXPLODES. I'm not talking it crashed and started smoking, this car freaking EXPLODED - a huge ball of fire and everything. I'm only about 30 feet behind it but 2 lanes over to the left so the debris spills into all lanes but my lane has the least of it. I didn't know what to do. What was a car was now a scattered rubble of parts. I thought to myself - holy shit there's no way anyone survived that - and as I drive past, I see 3 passengers next to the car unscathed.
jeez.. =/
I don't know if someone got out of another vehicle or if they lept out before it crashed or WHAT, but there is no way those 3 got out of the car before it burst into flames unless by some miracle.

So I was shaking the entire way home and driving something like 10 miles an hour, checking all my mirrors for crazy swerving cards and trying to keep my hands and legs from shaking. What an end to such a nice night =(
Between my own fender bender last year and witnessing this garbage, I don't think I'm ever taking the 110 again. EVER.
RJ82 says:
wow thats an action packed night out. =p
Posted on: Oct 01, 2008
pvtjoy says:
It was great to see Doris, Sybil and you again last night....and I know I'll see you again tonight! It was fun meeting everyone and I'm glad you made it home safe!
Posted on: Sep 27, 2008
Quest says:
Oh what a night you had. I'm glad you had a good time out with the girls, and that you got home safe.

Hopefully the people in the accident car are alright as well.
Posted on: Sep 27, 2008
jeez.. =/
Rob and Joy joining us at the end …
Rob and Joy joining us at the end…
Some of our delish food!