JPChoi says goodbye =(

Los Angeles Travel Blog

John @ Shik Do Rak
Every man knows a way to a woman's heart (or at least mine) is great Korean food!! =)

I get a call from John yesterday - seems he's in town for 1 day to go to the Korean embassy before heading back to LV and then off to Korea. This is the LAST TIME I'll John for a long long while. It is only appropriate that we share our love of the establishment Shik Do Rak together. John used to drive to LA from SAN FRANCISCO just to eat here. He is truly a man after my own heart.

When I got to the restaurant, John was already waiting outside and we went in to say hello to the manager. I bring anyone who will eat Korean food here. Well that's not true. I bring anyone here who I want to enjoy a really good KBBQ experience. If I don't like the person or I don't think they'll appreciate the food, I won't bother showing them this little gem.
See the expertise with tongs?!
John described this place as "gritty" and I've decided that's the PERFECT word for it. There's an authenticity and lack of sterility that just makes this food awesome. Ever notice how restaurants that have health ratings of A taste like shit? Yeah..

John had this awesome story of sitting with his friends in the outdoor area that is currently being remodeled when it was raining, with water dripping from the canopy, the heat rising from the BBQ surfaces. I could totally see it and it was absolutely the coolest memory of this place that was not even mine!! =)

Tracy joined us about 10 minutes later and the #4 combo was perfect for 3 hungry people although next time I'd probably order a 3 and a 2. I don't like the big chunks of beef although they looked like awesome cuts when raw.
Noodle machine @ boba place!
No one partook in soju this time =( I frown because for some reason I like people who drink a little. =) Maybe it's the vicariousness in me.

Anyhow, after dinner we went to another one of my haunts - I love boba! Best iced tea drinks in the world with crushed fruit. Favorite is passion fruit iced tea! Tracy and John spotted a crazy vending machine dispensing NOODLES! Dude, we should have just gotten one for the hell of it to see what it tasted like! But we were so stuffed and not particularly interested, but did take some funny photos =)

John and I reminisced a little bit about Ktown as we both spent a great deal of time here about 5 years ago. It's a cool little place - probably the only area that feels strongly about creating a cafe atmosphere (though mostly indoors) with good music, nice drinks and little bits of food.

I gonna miss you, John! I hope you blog a lot from Korea and help me expand my curiosity of and exposure to great Korean food! You're going to have an amazing time and hopefully have some TB visitors before long =)

mattango says:
Oh that made me hungry =) It's breakfast time here and I'd willingly eat that over any Euro food any day of the week haha =)
pvtjoy says:
Sorry, I couldn't make it...still packing right now!
Ask me if I've finished?
You must be NUTS!!!!!
HAHAHAH!!!!!
The attorney's took forever and then went to visit the parents before I leave...had to give them my itinerary - so they know where to find me in case of an emergency!
Glad you had a GREAT time!
Sheila_0808 says:
WTH?! where was i? i soo want to go there hehehe!
Let me know the next time you go hun ok?

Nice blog=)
Saying goodbye to John!
Saying goodbye to John!
I think my tummy can fit all that!
I think my tummy can fit all that!
Chef John