Big Pimpin visits! aka.. the day of the Aries..

Malibu Travel Blog

Big and his Thai brethren..
Big (Biglush_23) msged a couple of weeks ago that he would be in Anaheim! It was a little difficult to plan as I had just gotten used to the idea that I was going to Cancun and managed to get my hands on some books just DAYS before leaving. So I told Big I'd be available on Sunday as I got home Saturday night. We exchanged emails the week before I left and decided instead of the standard LA tour which usualy consists of some combination fo the Griffith Obseratory, Hollywood Blvd and some brunch place in Silverlake, we were gonna do a bunch of stuff that I've never done before and Big was gonna drive cause I can't really talk and drive at the same time =D

I get an email with a bunch of stuff he's like to see in LA including the Getty Villa, the RedCat downtown, and Chinatown.
What a nicely placed shadow!
Um.. yes these are all about 20 miles away from each other! But we'll try!

So imagine my surprise when Saturday rolls around, I'm sitting in the hotel lobby in Cancun and I get a couple of txt msgs indicating that he's in downtown LA and looking fo rme!! WTH?!?! I txted back but it said msg failed. WE WERE OFF BY A DAY FROM EACH OTHER!!!
But Big being who he is and not letting a pesky thing like the wrong day put too much of a kink in plans, promises to make the trek back to LA the next day and pick me up.

Big took some of my suggestions and visited on his own, including the Hindu Temple I haven't been to in over 5 years. He watched Shiva being bathed in milk and fire and I was satisfied I had made a good suggestion. When he picked me up at 8am on Sunday, we headed to Inn of the Seventh Ray - a restaurant I had been wanting to go to since I was 19 years old and my interest in astrology blossomed under the careful guidance of an astrologer/electrician I was dating.
Our lizard friend came to visit.
  Go figger what stays with you and what doesn't.

I'm going to take a paragraph and tell you how funny and sweet Big is. =) If I could write down all the tales Big regaled me about his travels, his friends, his parents.. it would take me hours!! Suffice it to say I spent most of my morning laughing very heartily. So much so that this motorcycle that pulled up next to us kept staring at me since I was close to tears laughing! Also, Big left me with a very sweet present - he had burned a CD for me with some fantastic and ambient music about.. of all things.. silence! Thank you so much for the thoughtful gift!!

This brunch place was FANTASTIC, and afterwards we pulled off to the side on an empty beach save a couple fishing from the beach. We ran around, got Big a little sandy and wet with a beautiful view of the freezing cold Pacific, and ran around the beach, dodging between the rocks and the tide trying to get from one end of the beach to the other.
On an isolated strip of beach..
After a rich and probably the best brunch I've ever had - we worked off enough calories to head to downtown for some Pinkberry followed by some Ramen at Daikokuya with his good friend and his new girlfriend.

Suddenly we sat down and I realized there were 2 Aries and 2 Capricorns at the table! We had quite a bit of fun, walking around Jtown looking for Curry Pan, checking out some costume stores where they sold these crazy gothic schoolgirl outfits (apparently very big for the Japanese). I thought we were looking at Halloween costumes but this seems to be standard fare in these stores!

Big had to leave around 3pm to catch his plane and then it was off to Koreatown to visit another friend who had come in from the Bay Area. My long time PhD friend was visiting to attend a wedding type thing, see me and Charlotte, and get some crazy i-ching brands on his arms of water and fire.
Me and Big @ pinkberry
Dan is another Aries with energy and brains to spare but is obsessed with zodiac stuff as someone has convinced him he's a triple fire. White guys are insane, I've decided.

After catching up, we head to Charlotte's favorite sushi place in Studio City called Katsu-ya. I had to hand it to her, the sushi here was flipping AWESOME. Not authentic and raw-esque like Sushi-Gen but definitely good quality and tasty and very nicely prepared. And of course we're in studio city so who walks in and gives out one handed bear hugs but the black guy from Scrubs. Hahahaa! Of course I had sweet shrimp which was wonderful going down but I think succeeded in making me sick the morning after.
Charlotte and I (and one of her $200 hairpieces in my hair!)
Oh well.. All in all a very busy and very enjoyable day.

All in all I had a very enjoyable time and I think Big did too! He will be making an appearance this weekend at Zion to watch the meteor showers with the LA and LV crew!!! =) The more the merrier, as always! Especially when the company is so wonderful!!
pvtjoy says:
Glad you had a great time!
Isn't it wonderful to meet amazing fellow TBer's?
I love it and I miss you littlest hobbit!!!
Can't wait till we see each other again.
**smooches**
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008
sincitytraveler says:
Hahaha! The usual TB mayhem and craziness with meeting up but it's always worth it! :)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008
Me and Big @ pinkberry
Charlotte and I (and one of her $2…
Charlotte and I (and one of her $…
Yumm! The sweet shrimp is mine!
Yumm! The sweet shrimp is mine!
513 km (319 miles) traveled