Grand Palace & Wat Pho

Bangkok Travel Blog

grand palace

Today we got the skytrain a few stops, then got on a boat to cruise up the river. I say cruise, it was a bit rough, but that was probably just the driver? is that what you call someone who controls the boat? Anyways, it might be his fault because i wasnt convinced he knew what he was doing. We got off further up the river, and walked to the grand palace. It was pretty hot on the way there, and walking around the palace. There's so much gold! so many statues. I went to see the emerald buddha, it was smaller than I expected, but still good.

We stopped for lunch at The Royal Navy Club. Slightly bizarre as the waiters and waitresses were wearing sailor shirts. When we stepped outside we watched a musical maestro, this 5-6 year old playing a xylophone type instrument. It started fairly basic but them he upped the skill n tempo level and he was the next mozart i tell ya.

On the way to Wat Pho we were told by one of those nice "Friendly Locals" that Wat Pho was closed and we should go somewhere else. Guess what, it wasn't :p now theres a surprise. They're the guys every guidebook warns you about. The reclining buddha is way bigger than I thought it would be. It was giant! mother of pearl soles on its feet. I made a donation and got a trayful of coins to put in the pots that line the wall. One coin in every pot...it takes ages and feels like you'll never reach the end, but apparantly its for a long life. We came home in an aircon taxi, I love aircon.

Laters

shel41 says:
hi cal could you include some pics of places
Posted on: Jun 01, 2008