Kamala Beach - Low Season (Nobody!!!!!!)

Phuket Travel Blog

Elephant roaming with no minder

I finished working in Bangkok and rushed for the airport to catch an afternoon flight to Phuket. I got very lucky and the traffic was light in the direction of the airport. When flying to Phuket, it's important to check the flight schedule for the type of aircraft. I hate to fly on ATR so I try to get on a flight that is using Boeing or Airbus. This is especially true for Bangkok Air. For my flight, I was on Thai Airways and this must be a busy time of day because we had a jumbo jet.

On the way to Kamala, we passed by two elephants in the road totally on their own.

Long Tails
I've seen elephants before, but never just wandering. I quickly snapped a pic, but only got one animal and it was a little blurry. Even so, it was a nice surprise. I chose to go to Kamala beach as it's very quiet and laid back, but still close enough to Patong for shopping, bars, clubs, etc. For me, Patong is too busy, overdeveloped and crowded. Besides, I already went to Patong on my first trip to Phuket. On the other hand Kamala is small and really nice.  The high season was unwinding so the crowds were not present and even better, the restro's and bars were very happy for any business. The beach is very clean and the view is beautiful.The resort was Print Kamala and the accomodations were acceptable. The resort is fairly nice, but I think the room needed some maintenance attention.
Kamala Beach - Very Low Season
The A/C barely worked, but this was ok for me because I left it turned off. The beach is across the street and entered via Tsunami Park.

On arrival, I walked around to figure out where things are. Kamala is extremely small so it's not difficult to do. I stopped in a tailor shop and got measured for some clothes. Then I went to find some food. The little bar I found was owned by an Aussie guy and had only one other customer. They didn't have food so I went to the resteraunt next door and ordered red curry pork which they delivered to the bar. I chatted with the bar owner, but I only stayed for 2 beers because it was boring and I wanted to go to a travel company before they closed, to book a kayak trip. I'll write a separate journal about the kayaking.

What I didn't know, is that most of the bars in Kamala are on the main road not the beach road.
Beach Shack
Finding the beach road boring, and wanting better music and more people to hang out with, I took a taxi to Patong. The taxi fare was 300 thb which I thought was crazy, but I had no choice. I walked around Patong to observe the scene, but it was still kinda early.  I walked over to some shops, but I didn't buy, because I didn't want to carry stuff around. Wandering back to Soi Eric, I got a beer and started meeting people right away. Bunch of Russians, came in this place and were actually pretty fun. Haha, they bought many rounds of shots cuz one of their mates wouldn't stop ringing the bell. We played connect four and jenga and other games with the bar tenders and bar girls. The Tuk Tuk back to Kamala was also 300 THB, ugh.

On my second day, I didn't do one productive thing. I enjoyed a really nice time on the beach.

Tsunami Park
All I needed was my sunblock 50 and my IPOD and I was happy. A chair and umbrella was only 100 THB for the day. Since I just was relaxing, I didn't rent a Jetski or anything.  I wanted Hobie Cat, but could not find. For eating, Kamala has restaurants on the beach road as well as beach shacks. The convenience of the beach shacks during the day makes them the obvious choice for lunch. The menu was not extensive, but the food was really good. This place was run by an old lady and her daughter and their curry was excellent. I met some people from the UK and Norway and they informed me about the main road.

Later than evening, I found the main road and met up with Pierre from Norway. Tried a couple of bars. The Apple Tree is cool because they have pool tables at which I proceeded to loose every game to Pierre and everyone I played. Hahaha oh well, guess I'm not so good at that. We then went across the street to The Pub with a group of people to hear a rock band live. I was surprised, they were actually pretty good.  I left pretty early, cuz I wanted to be rested for kayaking.

mellemel8 says:
ooo i love it when you have the beach to yourself :)
Posted on: Aug 12, 2008
Tsunami Memorial
Tsunami Memorial
In case you cant hear the waves
In case you can't hear the waves
Kamala Beach Deserted