Leaving for Los Angeles

Spokane Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 6 › view all entries
Spokane International Airport - 4:27 am
So today has been an interesting day, and it will likely continue to get even more interesting! I'm sitting here at the airport waiting to leave for Los Angeles to audition for the famous Bellydance Superstars! I'm excited beyond words. This will likely be one of the most important trips of my life. But as well as this being an important day, it has also been very long.
I woke up over twenty eight hours ago to go to a dentist appointment. So Mom and I walked down there (roughly a mile there and back) around 11 am, and I tell you, that was not a fun experience. I knew I had a (rather large) cavity, but it turns out I actually had four, although they could only fill two in one sitting. So they gave me some topical numbing solution and then two shots. The first one was uncomfortable, but the second one was extremely painful. I got an adrenaline rush and ended up shaking for over half an hour. After they started work, I started feeling some sharp pains so they gave me a third shot. That one of course didn't hurt at all, it just felt very strange. It felt ghostly, like something passing through me that I seemed to only imagine. After about two and a half hours, they were done and we walked home. On our way, I found that I had acquired a lisp since half of my tongue was numb. Apart from that, I could not close my mouth properly, smile, whistle drink or eat. Eating was fun. Food kept falling out of my mouth because I couldn't feel where it was. Just imagine that: A supposed glamorous bellydancer . . . with food dripping out of her mouth. I also drooled on occasion when I wasn't paying attention. So yeah, not fun.
By the time the effects of the shots had worn off, it was time to get ready for A Night of Divine Dance, hosted by Talia. Still a bit numb, I washed my face and curled my hair, then gathered up my costume and makeup and headed up to the Sons of Norway Ballroom. Once I got there I went backstage and was horrified at the lighting that was provided. It was just so dark! I had to kind of guess at the darkness of my makeup, but since I've been doing it for quite a while now I think I guessed well. My slot wasn't until after the intermission, so I just relaxed backstage and talked with the other dancers, occasionally going out to take a peak at what was going on. When it was my turn I was pretty excited and walked out on stage, waved at the audience and waited for my music. I think I did quite well, and i had so much fun. I loved the music I used. Beware of the Boys (Mundain to Back Ke) by Panjabi MC is such a fun, upbeat song and was perfect for lots of layers, shimmies and flutters. I was a bit upset, though because the audience was such a tough crowd! During the performance no one clapped or cheered or even smiled, and at the end the applause was almost half hearted. However, the other dancers who saw me quite made it up, and I felt pretty good after that.
On our way home I remembered that I still needed to pick up snacks and batteries, so we stopped by Wall Mart. That was pretty interesting because I hadn't taken my makeup off yet - fake glittery eyelashes and all. I felt like a hooker! But no one seemed to mind, and soon enough we had what we needed. When we got back we did some last minute packing, printed off our itinerary and boarding passes, checked in on line, etc. By the time everything was ready, it was about 2:30 am and we realized we didn't have time to sleep. So we all just relaxed and had some fun. Before we knew it it was time to head to the airport. So, after saying our good-byes to Grif and the critters, we set off. The drive over was neat since we had to drive through downtown so early. The whole city seemed deserted. Once we got to the airport we said bye to Dad (who unfortunately had to go to work in three hours) and got going. Since we'd already printed out our boarding passes, checked in on line, and had no baggage to check, all we had to do was go through security and walk to our gate. And, well, now here we are! They're boarding first class passengers now, so it's time for Mom and I to collect our things! Until next time . . .

sylviandavid says:
nice blog....
Posted on: Jun 01, 2008
milltownmeadow says:
Look forward to seeing some photos this is going to be a great blog.
Good Luck :))
Posted on: May 23, 2008
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Hummingbird