EuropeItalySiena

Siena

Siena Travel Blog

Siena is an easy daytrip from Florence, and well worth the visit. I much preferred the feel of the city to Florence, though don't get me wrong, it was still busy!! Despite that, there is more of an air of peace to the place, it feels warmer and more welcoming. Their Duomo is similar to the one in Florence, except pink and not so colossal - still pretty though. I loved how the streets wound every which way and went up and down and around each other, better exercise I suppose!

The central campo where the infamous horse races occur is massive, but the restaurants there are seriously overpriced. We ended up eating at a tiny place up a side street which had great food at a fraction of the cost. Give me good cheap food over white-coated waiters any day!

Because Siena is more hilly in the city centre, there are lots of great viewpoints where you can catch glimpses of the buildings below/in the distance. Also, the gelato there was yum! We got round to see everything we wanted to easily in 3 hours on foot, and the buses back to the train station were muchos regular. A great day out from Florence.

Siena