La Spezia

La Spezia Travel Blog

La Spezia was my gateway into and out of the Cinque Terre, and we did a quick backwards day trip there to check out the sights. Coming out of the station, I was at first a little worried - it looked like it was going to be a normal city with no defining features, but soon showed itself to be a charming place with amazing shopping, bonus!

The central square has an extensive market leading off it, selling a variety of clothes, shoes and, of course, handbags. I eyed it all with avarice, but managed to restrain myself for most of the walk down the market. On the way back up though, I broke, and tearfully clutching a beautiful cream bag to myself, convinced my friends to convince me that it was a good idea to buy it. It was a cathartic moment.

A casual stroll (a REAL casual stroll) brought us down to the bay, which was really pretty with bright blue water contrasting against some beautiful white sailing boats. After that, we sniffed out a cute little cafe that served some tasty pasta for lunch, there are loads of them down the side alleys off the main shopping streets.

I liked the place, but wouldn't recommend staying there when the beautiful Cinque Terre towns are so close by (a 10 minute train journey to Riomaggiore), but it's great as a day trip.

La Spezia