St Petersburg - 2008 - Day Two

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

We were supposed to start setting up right away but since Russia is so jacked up our gear providers were just trickling in the stuff, so Rick just gave us the day off. I was supposed to meet Steve for shooting at 0800hr, but my phone clock did not update so I was still two hours behind. I woke up at 1000hr to find that he and Eric had already left, assuming I was wanting to sleep. The only redeeming thing was it started pouring rain so they did not get much (ha, ha). A slew of us decided instead to rent a van and tour guide and hit some sites that way. It turned out to be a good idea although it was still the fucked up expensive tour with its obligatory kick back “refreshment stop turned souvenir shop.”

The tour was more than made up for during a stop we made at a park near the river so we could get a few shots off.
Well, I made out with my favorite shots from the trip thus far. Down near the rivers edge a newly married couple had come with families in tow to set off the traditional doves and drink champagne. I immediately threw on the 70-200mm telephoto and ran down in the midst snapping away like I belonged there. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I also enjoyed the local souvenier shop in the Johnny Potty. WTF

We were able to see Peter and Paul Island and Cathedral (no, neither Georges nor I were stuck by lightening, that would take a real god to do that). We also went to the Cathedral of Spilled Blood (Christians and their fetish with death … scary …) which is one of the classic Russian Orthodox churches with the multicolored spires and gold domes. This was a very cool looking cathedral. Reminds me of a gingerbread house you could eat (Jesus would not have approved). Big Boy was also on hand to take in the glory of Spilled Blood (no, the lightning came close to him, but god has such bad aim).

We also went by some park that had a very nice view of the island shot the river and island from there. I was amazed to get to shoot a newly married couple on the river bank drinking champagne with family and setting off doves. Very nice.

For the dinner activity, see my review of the Palkin Restaurant De Luxe. Let it just be said here, one of the top five meals I have ever had in my life.
Peter and Paul Cathedral
Peter and Paul Cathedral
Now thats what I call a souvenir …
Now that's what I call a souvenir…