Vesak Day

Singapore Travel Blog

me at the subway
Happy Vesak Day! It happens to be a Bhuddist holiday, but I'm not sure what it's for. But we did not have class today, so I'm definitely a happy camper. Many of us decided to head on over to Chinatown to check out the Chinese Bhuddist temple, which apparently was built with no nails. I'm all for seeing sites and stuff, but checking out new parts of town was what got me excited. I do have some work to do before classes tomorrow, but getting motivated in a place with so much to do is kind of hard!

Our group got off of the subway in a cool downtwon area, but ended up heading the wrong way to Chinatown. I wasn't too mad though, because we got to eat lunch at a cool place on the river. Since it was a holiday, nobody else was really eating luch there and we were some of the only customers; this ended up leading to good prices (and free beer!) since riverside restaurants were competing to serve us.
smelling the incense
We then ended up getting back on the subway and walking to Chinatown.

Chinatown itself was pretty interesting, not necessarily with the people (since were kind of used to that by now) but mostly by the smells coming from stores or restaurants as well as the starnge-looking foods for sale. We decided not to partake (save that for Beijing) and headed to the temple. It was pretty cool and smelled like incense. Got some picutures as well. But finally buying a water at the 7 eleven (they're everywhere!) afterwards pretty much made my day...walking around in the heat is tough! We finally got back to campus after a subway and bus ride. It is a little inconvenient having to take a bus to the subway every time, but I guess it beats a cab (although not by much - cabs are very cheap here).

Class starts tomorrow, and it kind of stinks having to do work, but at least it will be nice to settle into a schedule. And a heck of a lot cheaper than going out all the time! Don't touch that remote, and stay tuned for more updates.
guys at the subway
view from our table
view from our table
Thomas again
Thomas again
weird spaceship building in backgr…
weird spaceship building in backg…
police officer: dont mess around!
police officer: don't mess around!
Taco Bell!