Sentosa Island

Singapore Travel Blog

going up
This past Friday, our class took a "field trip" to Sentosa Island, which is a family/resort island just south of Singapore. We were scheduled to have class in the morning (one of our few Friday classes for the summer) and head to the island after lunch to go see "Images of Singapore," a museum that told the country's history. We were then free to do whatever we wanted on the island and get back to campus on our own. What a day it ended up being!

First of all, class in the morning was pretty rough. A bunch of us went to Ministry of Sound the night before since a student ID card gets you in with no cover on Wednesday and Thursday nights. It a really trendy club in Clarke Quay, and we had a blast showing off our sweet American moves! Asians dance really weird.
Josh & the snake
Not being hateful, just throwing that out there. We got back pretty late, and needless to say, waking up for class was not pleasant. But anyway, after class and a quick lunch, Professor Zhou (the program director - he just left and will join us again in Beijing to teach the first class there) chartered a bus for us and we were off.

One of the coolest parts of the trip was getting to the island. There is a bridge that the bus could have gone on, and a tram connects to the subway on the mainland. But I guess we decided to go in style. A cable-car ride connects the two islands, and it was incredible! It was a bit scary at first, since the cars just kind of swing from wires way high in the air. But the view was spectacular. Once we got to Sentosa, we proceeded to the museum.
gettin' some sun
It was aight. It seemed to be aimed at a younger audience and was swarmed with schoolchildren, but overall I thought it was informative. Running into a snake charmer outside the entrance was pretty cool too!

Class requirements being done, we were free to have some fun. And the most logical place to do that? The beach of course! Sentosa has three beaches, and we chose to go to Siloso Beach, which is more sporty for a younger crowd. Most everyone in our group went there, including Ralph, our Chinese grad assistant. He's pretty funny. Chilling on the beach was awesome. It was the first time in this trip that we got to relax in the sun. The sky was crystal clear and the water a perfect temperature. The beach bar was a little expensive, but worth it anyway. There was even a little island a couple hundred yards away that we swam to.
group on the beach
My past white skin needed the sun badly!

After the beach, some of us decided to do the luge. It's basically a mini-go cart which runs on gravity and goes down the mountain/hill on a concrete track. Although not as good as the alpine luge in Chattanooga, it was still pretty fun. Being heavier is more fun, since you go faster; I defintely left some small children in the dust. After the luge, we went to the music/laser show on the beach. It was a huge production and packed with people; a gi-normous amphitheater faces the water and a cool music and light show goes on. It was probably one of the coolest thing I have ever seen. There was fire, lasers, and water jets, but the coolest thing was the images projected onto misting water. It was like watching a 3-D movie. The plot was pretty childish, but the show was outstanding.
ready to luge!
We headed back to campus afterward. A great way to end the day!

I'll go ahead and talk about Saturday while I'm at it. Thomas, Demby, and I all went to the huge mall, Vivo City, for the afternoon and bought some cool stuff. I got a black button-up shirt with an Asian twist. The collar is short and doesn't fold back down, just a simple circle; a little bit of kung-fu flair. That night, about 12 of us went to the historic Raffles Hotel, where the original Singapore sling was created in the Long Bar. Of course, we all partook in this overpriced tourist beverage, but the best part was the house band playing upstairs. They rocked! It was so funny seeing a bunch of Asian people playing American favorites; the female lead singer was pretty good at imitating some Arethra Franklin, and the lead guitarist sang some Lonestar with a convincing southern accent.
at the lightshow
And the sax player was pretty raw. We had a lot of fun just jamming and dancing. Might have to go back sometime!

Some people then went back, but myself and a few others went out for some karaoke in a local (not tourist) place. It was hilarious! It was full of Chinese Singaporeans singing dumb Chinese ballads. Luckily, they had a full arsenal of classic American favorites, so we decided to show them what was up. Thomas and I sang some Backstreet Boys, and we all jammed out to some Bon Jovi "Livin' on a Prayer." Not sure if the Chinese people enjoyed it, but we had a blast! Overall, this past weekend in Singapore was awesome. It was fun to explore the local scene before we begin weekend travels abroad. More to come later!
gettin some sun
view of the bay
view of the bay
some lights
some lights
me and Thomas with attractive prom…
me and Thomas with attractive pro…
and Demby too