Day 1 - Arrival in San Francisco and Castro

San Francisco Travel Blog

Finally, i'm on my way to the United States. The excitement didn't set in until i boarded the plane though; i guess i had been busy clearing work in the past few days, that's why. Anyway, the flight from Singapore to San Francisco took a grueling 16 hours (or more). Security clearance was alright though, not as scary as i have heard from some, so that was good.

After settling down at my friend's place, we went to check out a gay club in the Castro district, apparently famed for being an open gay district in the US. Other than the HUGE 6-colour flag flying at the entrance, gay couples were openly holding hands on the streets. I found that rather liberating and quite refreshing. Quite a contrast from the gay district in Singapore where everyone still seemed uncomfortable about their identity in the open. Apparently the Castro community also has this annual gay pride parade. I'm sure that will be very very interesting.

So we went to this club called The Cafe. It was pretty tame in that there wasn't that much action as you would have expected to see in a gay club. Oh one thing, clubbing is really affordable here. Cover charges and drinks were really cheap! US$3 and US$2 for a Heineken respectively. So i managed to club just paying US$5. Cool.

Apparently i heard on Thursdays and Fridays, a group of male dancers would pole dance on the bartop wearing only thongs. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. It's a pity that i missed it. Now that is something you will never be able to see in Singapore.

Strife says:
Thanks guys! Haha Leon, well i'm not into them, but i just find it quite liberating :) Well i couldn't take any pics cos i forgot to bring my cam charger and my cam's batt is flat. gona get a charger tm!
Posted on: May 19, 2008
jpchoi says:
welcome... where are the pics? :P
Posted on: May 18, 2008
leonfoo says:
hah. didnt know your so into GLBT. ...
i stayed at a gay hostel in phuket before. its quite cool and i actually liked the people... and i ever saw gays making out on a pool table , right infront of me in Ohio.. haha... remarkable sight...
Posted on: May 18, 2008