Munich

Munich Travel Blog

Rathaus

I took the train from Nuremberg to Munich to spend the day walking around this gorgeous Bavarian city.  And when I say walked ... I mean I walked all over this city!  It was a beautiful day for it.  After arriving at the train station, I went straight to Marienplatz.  When I arrived at the Rathaus, there was a huge crowd gathered to watch the Glockenspiel.  I didn't know ahead of time, but I lucked out that I had arrived for the first playing at 11 am.  It also rings at noon and 5 pm in the summer time.  Then I walked to the Nationales Theater, Residenz Museum, Odeonplatz, Hofgarten, and Bayerischen Staatskanzlei.  There are many beautiful buildings, monuments and gardens to city in a compact area of the city center.

Eisbach surfing
  I ate lunch at a Biergarten behind the Rathaus.

Then I walked through the very long Englischer Garten, which is an immense park with creeks, ponds, athletic fields, Biergarten and so on all located along the west bank of the Isar river.  In the park, I stumbled upon an area where locals actually surf in the river (actually more like a creek) called Eisbach.  There is a phenomenon that occurs here causing a constant flow of waves almost like a natural wave pool.  It's the closest thing to a surf beach for hundreds of miles.  I then picked up a pretzel lunch at the Chinischer Turm Biergarten.  They had the biggest pretzels I have ever seen in my life.  I ate my lunch on a bench by Kleinhesseloher See watching people paddle boat around the large pond.

Fan Fest

After lunch, I made the long trek over to Olympiapark where the Munich Fan Fest was being held.  This walk took me through several neighborhoods, city streets, and parks including Luitpol Park.  I found Munich very easy to walk and it felt very safe.  The Fan Fest here was much larger than in Nuremberg.  They had one screen situated on a hill bank and another one by the side of a small lake.  I ate some curried sausage and drank Paulaner while watching the games.  After a long day of walking, I decided to take the train from Olympiapark to Munchen Hauptbahnhof and then enjoyed the relaxing train ride by to Nuremberg.

Max Joseph