Gameday

Nurnberg Travel Blog

Kongresshalle

Before going to the game, I walked around the Altstadt again.  I had one of the local junk food treats that you can pick up from road-side stands.  They are called Nurbergers and they are simply three little bratwurst links on a roll.  They are light sausage with a slightly spicy and salty taste.  Then I boarded to the train to head over to the stadium area.  Frankenstadion is the name of the stadium.  It is located next to what remain of old, significant Nazi structures such as Zeppelinfeld and Kongresshalle.  There is a lake between Frankenstadion and Kongresshalle called Grosser Dutzendteich.  It makes for a nice, scenic walk around the area as I had a lot of time to kill before game time.  They had a Fan Fest set up next to Kongresshalle that had pick-up soccer games, foods and crafts, and a live German TV show broadcasting the pre-game activities.

Food from many of the representing countries was available.  I got some food from the Ghana section, which was a lot of stew based meat dishes with spices and root vegetables.  It was quite tasty.

As I walked to the stadium, I was surrounded by jubilant Americans.  Even before the game started, there were many Americans dressed in patriotic colors seeing a variety of songs.  I had never experienced such passion for American soccer before.  Unfortunately the Americans had their backs against the walls after losing terribly to the Czech Republic and tying the Italians (eventual champions) in a controversial game marred by three ejections.

partiotism at its best!
  The U.S. still had an outside shot at advancement.  Ghana scored first when Claudio Reyna had an abysmal turnover while injuring himself.  Then Clint Dempsey gave the loud U.S. fans something to cheer about with a great goal fed from DaMarcus Beasley.  The Americans were back in the game, but that was short lived as right before halftime, Ghana was awarded a questionable PK on a foul on Oguchi Onyewu.  There would be no scoring in the second half and Ghana went on to win 2-1.  There were plenty of happy Ghana fans on hand to witness the victory and advancement to the knockout stage.  After the game, we found out that Italy had beaten the Czech Republic, so if the U.S. had won, they would have advanced.  There were many rowdy Italians back in the Altstadt.
  I had one elderly (and drunk) German man come up to me and tell me not to despair.  He said he had been to the U.S. six times and thought it was a beautiful country.  I found that pretty amusing.

After the game, I went back to the Altstadt with the guys I had shared the tickets with, Chris and Ryan.  We had dinner at Bratwurst Roslein, where we ate outside and could see the big video screens of the Fan Fest where a couple of games were being shown.  I had a very good Weiner schnitzel with warm potato salad and several rounds of Tucher Hefeweisen.  Germany had clinched a playoff spot that day, so car horns were honking all night along with shouting and singing in the streets.  It made it very difficult to sleep as it was too hot in the room to not close the balcony door, but too loud outside to leave it open.  I left it open, but tried my best to muffle my ears with pillows.

Sams Army