AsiaBhutanParo

Hiking in Paro

Paro Travel Blog

The last day we took of to Paro which was our last stop on the trip. We arrived around 11am and immediately began our hike to the Taksthang Monastery. It's also known as the Tiger's nest and is one of the most famous monasteries in Bhutan. It's built up on the edge of a cliff at over 10,000 feet. The entire trip up took about 4 hours roundtrip but was amazing. It was by far the most beautiful site I saw in all of Bhutan. After our hike down we spent the afternoon relaxing in town buying souvenirs and whiskey for our Thai friends. So Jordan and I returned to Thailand looking like raging alcoholics which is always fun. Overall the trip was amazing and one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to. It's totally underdeveloped and at 200 dollars a day to visit, tourism will continue to be kept at a minimum.

Vikram says:
Oh yes, I read your last post here... "200 dollars a day". That's dead expensive. Did you have to pay any more tax on top of it? And I heard that the DrukAir airline also charges a bomb for its flights?!
Posted on: Nov 04, 2006
Owens says:
Great travel blog, great pictures.
Posted on: Oct 27, 2006
vances says:
Thank you for sharing a truly brilliant adventure. I honestly wanted to smile at each picture...every one was astounding!
Posted on: Oct 17, 2006